Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are puffin classic novels grammatically punctuated correctly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there I was wondering whether the puffin classic novels call "The Hound of Baskervilles" is punctuated correctly. Thanks

Yes, excuse me whilst I go out to the shops and buy it just so I can answer your stupid question.

ReputationRep:
      Well obviously not, I didn't mean that. I guess this is temporary attention your ever going to get. It was a simple question don't need to be rude.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      Are you talking about the Penguin Classics? If so, I have a copy and it is an unabridged version, which means it's basically the exact same as the original version. No one has altered the way it was originally written. Punctuation might vary from how we use it as punctuation now, as it is continuously evolving. Punctuation might differ to cause effect of course.

Personally, I did not like the novel. But that's a different matter. :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
      Are you talking about the Penguin Classics? If so, I have a copy and it is an unabridged version, which means it's basically the exact same as the original version. No one has altered the way it was originally written. Punctuation might vary from how we use it as punctuation now, as it is continuously evolving. Punctuation might differ to cause effect of course.

Personally, I did not like the novel. But that's a different matter. :P
      I don't enjoy reading novels either, but when I'm forced and if its mandatory then I will. I'm struggling with commas, so I'm just trying to improve my weaknesses by reading. I usually put commas wherever I need to pause, that is my main problem.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Yes, excuse me whilst I go out to the shops and buy it just so I can answer your stupid question.
      :lol:

Maybe OP was hoping someone has that book....
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Highfiveyou)
      I don't enjoy reading novels either, but when I'm forced and if its mandatory then I will. I'm struggling with commas, so I'm just trying to improve my weaknesses by reading. I usually put commas wherever I need to pause, that is my main problem.
      Oh, don't get me wrong, I love reading novels and literature in general. However, that novel just wasn't the best.

I see your comma issue in your last sentence. "I usually put commas wherever I need to pause which is my main problem."

However, if you're looking to improve your placements of commas then you should be looking to buy some grammar and punctuation books, rather than reading something that was written over 100 years ago. It will just confuse you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
      Oh, don't get me wrong, I love reading novels and literature in general. However, that novel just wasn't the best.

I see your comma issue in your last sentence. "I usually put commas wherever I need to pause which is my main problem."

However, if you're looking to improve your placements of commas then you should be looking to buy some grammar and punctuation books, rather than reading something that was written over 100 years ago. It will just confuse you.
      I know how to use commas but with conjunction, such as: and, but it nor etc. Also lists and subordinate conjunctions. I don't get how to use commas to set off parenthetical and transitional expressions.

Here let me have a go. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Here's how I would use a comma for interruptions:

The taxi driver, looked in his early 20s, tall and handsome, was walking in the street.

Or

The taxi driver, looked lost, baring in mind he was a taxi driver, did he not think to use a map?

Or

The business itself, will take Legal action, as half of their stock is missing.

Or

Temporary feelings, not my thing, ignoring the world is the best solution.

2 Subordinate conjunction:

As long as you're happy, there is nothing else I would like to see.

The law needs to alter itself because crimes are increasing excessively and the punishments are not severe enough.

3 Comma with introductory phrases:

Later that day, Sophie decided to knuckle down and revise, as she only had 24 hours left until her exam.

Having said that, many people
      Decide to neglect their health for temporary pleasure they find in fast foods.

4 Commas with introductory words;

However, as studies show.....

Or

Soon, all will be revealed and people will be left shocked.

5 Commas and semicolons:

However, many youngsters today don't see harm in smoking, and see it as a temporary treat; little do they know about the disadvantages of smoking.
      Or
      I love eating fast food; absolutely hate piling on weight.

I go swimming seven times a week; still, manage to get some work done.

6 Commas in lists:

She needed her lipstick, eyebrow pencil and her massacre.

Or

She was walking, she was running and jumping outside my home.

Or

Two cups of sugar, three gallons of milk, a big chunk of butter and raisins.

7 Using commas with direct speech:

"Sarah you better be ready", said mum.

Or

"Hurry we're getting late you slow coach", said Alex, " Just hurry up please".

8 Commas to separate elements in a sentence that express contrast.

I was five years old, not 20 years old.
      Or

I don't like you, I love you.

Or

He thinks he's handsome, but he's really not.

Or

It wasn't cold, it was hot.

9 Separating parthentical elements:

The business, that was very people, was not so busy today.

Or

Maybe I felt lucky, I don't always feel lucky, and today could be the day where I get lucky.

Or

Businesses should take extra care, despite being very laid back, as in the end this will only benefit them.

My main problem is using comma for contrast and separating parenthetical elements in a sentence. I like to leave short pauses in my text sometimes get confused whether it whether not to use a comma.

Is there only one method of comma splice like this:

I went to the shops, it was raining so heavily.

I could easily correct that like this:

I went to the shops, and it was raining so heavily.

I went to the shops; it was raining so heavily.

My fear is comma splicing while writing up essays.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.