The Student Room Group

Rent a car under 21

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JulietSierra
The rental company HERTZ rent to 19 years olds, I did it several times. License for at least 1year and a extra 15quid a day.

i know this threads old, but what kind of cars did they have?
I've had a nice new Corsa 1.4, which was £28.27/day (less/day if you hire for more days), then the next time paid a bit extra for a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 @ £31.16/day.

Other than that, and it depends on each dealership, but you can get Picantos and Transit vans.

Good company, id recommend it, im not sure of any other UK companies that hire to under21s.

To view prices go to Hertz>Product&Services>Hertz Student Car Hire>Book It Now, fill it in and check out the cars. Enjoy!
I've had a nice new Corsa 1.4, which was £28.27/day (less/day if you hire for more days), then the next time paid a bit extra for a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 @ £31.16/day.

Other than that, and it depends on each dealership, but you can get Picantos and Transit vans.

Good company, id recommend it, im not sure of any other UK companies that hire to under21s.

To view prices go to Hertz>Product&Services>Hertz Student Car Hire>Book It Now, fill it in and check out the cars. Enjoy!

I borrowed the same car the other day from Europcar and it was £17.50 a day (due to me being under 25 still = young driver surcharge so went up to 24.60 a day - but still a little bit cheaper. You have to be careful which one you go to though as those that are considered premium spots charge more! Quite a bit more!
Reply 23
http://www.streetcar.co.uk/

i don't rent/lease but this company is the future.

insurance/fuel everything included.
Reply 24
Original post by richard-
Like with all these car/van rental companies most are looking for over 21's

e.g: enterprise, easycar

Any one got any places where I can rent a car for the weekend if I am only 20, preferably pick up car in the west midlands area for use over the uk.

If you can get yourself to huddersfield then your in luck! PM me, i can get you a range rover sport, C250 sport benz and a few other cars. All at good prices.

If not, then id say your best bet is 'Hertz' - they do student hire outs, all you need is a clean license held for a year and you need a student card (uni card, college card etc)

Other than Hertz, you WILL NOT get a car, trust me, i've tried.
Reply 25
LOL i just realised how old this thread is haha.

HOWEVER, if anyone needs a car around huddersfield, bradford, leeds then let me know i can get you a car like mine :wink:
Reply 26
Under 21 car hire is now available in many different countries. I was 20 when I hired a car in Cape Town, South Africa, I found the company on the internet and discovered their under 21 car hire service, I thought it was a joke at first, but its legit, you guys should try it,there all over South Africa, http://www.drivesouthernafrica.com/under21-car-hire.php.
Reply 27

I hired out a car twice from Hertz, once at birmingham central and Airport and both times they gave me a kia, does the job but it wern't pretty and not as fun as a european car. The guy at the rental desk was telling me how it was unlikely to get a focus as they all are out most the time. He tried to get a mervia for me but the computer said no :frown:. He also said the only really other car is an astra but only a few of the models like the smaller diesel engines. If you just need a car to get from A to B Hertz is pretty good, but is wasnt happy with it for my road trip.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by naza911
I hired out a car twice from Hertz, once at birmingham central and Airport and both times they gave me a kia, does the job but it wern't pretty and not as fun as a european car. The guy at the rental desk was telling me how it was unlikely to get a focus as they all are out most the time. He tried to get a mervia for me but the computer said no :frown:. He also said the only really other car is an astra but only a few of the models like the smaller diesel engines. If you just need a car to get from A to B Hertz is pretty good, but is wasnt happy with it for my road trip.

I rented with them again a month or so ago, id opted for a focus, but they gave me a Kia Soul 2 (1.6 ltr d), which was great to drive and pretty quick, just ugly as hell. Fortunately I live in a quieter area of the country, and they usually have the car you want.
Reply 29
I rented with them again a month or so ago, id opted for a focus, but they gave me a Kia Soul 2 (1.6 ltr d), which was great to drive and pretty quick, just ugly as hell. Fortunately I live in a quieter area of the country, and they usually have the car you want.

They don't have to give you a focus just something in the same group as a focus, so has the same engine size, and is sort of the same size. Although the first time round they did give me a 1.4 Diesel. I might be getting another one in sept I'll see what they give me then.

If you live in a big city then there are a lot of private rentals available and you get much better cars at much better prices with them.
Reply 30
Original post by ANJ3M
If you can get yourself to huddersfield then your in luck! PM me, i can get you a range rover sport, C250 sport benz and a few other cars. All at good prices.

If not, then id say your best bet is 'Hertz' - they do student hire outs, all you need is a clean license held for a year and you need a student card (uni card, college card etc)

Other than Hertz, you WILL NOT get a car, trust me, i've tried.

whats ur number mate ?

Any one got any places where I can rent a car for the weekend if I am only 20, preferably pick up car in the west midlands area for use over the uk.

I dont think hardly anyone does car rental for under 21's.
Look on google and see what you come up with.
Reply 32

I've tried that as well but nowhere at all they would give me a car at the age of 19. Don't think it's gonna be much of a difference at 20. And most of the car renting companies also said there isn't any that would consider U-21s
Original post by Carl
It's in France, where you insure the car, and not the driver. anyone with a license can therefore drive any car, and so as long as the cars are insured it's not an issue.

I like that system of insurance becuase they have it in america and thats why you see more 17, 18 and 19 year old driving bigger and better cars than you would ever see in the UK.

whereas in the UK each individual driver is insuranced on the car.
Reply 34
www.citycarclub.co.uk does it as well

(yes i know it's an old thread, but it's been reincarnated so what the heck :P)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending