Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to lose weight over summer Watch

So far so good, I think. I'm a UK size 10, so I wanted to lose a bit of weight.
    What I've done so far is to cut down on what I eat. In the past I would snack a lot and eat quite a lot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is now a typical day's worth of meals:
    Breakfast- one slice of toast with butter and half a grapefruit
    Lunch- I sometimes skip this, or have a croissant with a banana
    Dinner- whatever my mum makes. However, I make sure I have a quarter of the portion I used to have by using tiny plates. I also have a lot of vegetables (cucumbers, lettuce, sweetcorn etc.)
    Snack- whenever I feel like snacking, I grab some fruit instead.

As well as cutting down on how much I eat, I've started doing some more exercise. I don't jog, I walk instead (I have asthma so jogging can be a nightmare). I tend to walk long distances, so about 10 miles once every two days. As well as exercising, I've also tried to be out and about more. Now, instead of lazing around on my bed, I'll go out and explore my town quite a bit- meaning that I get another 3 hours worth of walking in every day.

I've been doing this for about a week and a half, and it seems to be working. Clothes that used to be tight are now much looser. However, I still want to improve my weight loss plan.

Any tips on where I could improve my plan? Thanks for reading this

:bump:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're eating very little. Is that good for you?

(Original post by Sic semper erat)
    I'm losing weight for the summer too. I started on the 4th of July and keep track:

4th of July (morning 105.2 kg) - 20 laps swimming, fresh tomatoes, hummus, salad, olives
    5th of July (morning 106 kg) - 25 laps swimming, melon, eggs, nectarine, mango, lentils, walk
    6th of July (morning 102.9 kg) - plum, feta cheese, grapes, eggs, walk
    7th of July (morning 102.6 kg) - 30 laps swimming, plum, tuna salad, grapes, rice with beans, walk
    8th of July (morning 101.8 kg) - dates, milk, eggs, yogurt with zaatar, mayo pasta, long walk
    9th of July (morning 102.3 kg) - melon, grapes, mayo pasta, watermelon, rice
    10th of July (morning 102.0 kg) - watermelon, Activia, rice, mango, long walk
    11th of July (morning 101.8 kg) - 20 laps swimming, melon, hummus, tomatoes, corn, watermelon, dinner
    12th of July (morning 101.4 kg) - 25 laps swimming, melon, soup, chickpeas, watermelon, rice, salmon, walk
    13th of July (morning 101.1 kg) - pastrami, Activia, rice, smoked salmon, salad, melon
    14th of July (morning 100.4 kg - pastrami, eggs, watermelon, fried sweet potatoes, brown rice spaghetti
    15th of July (morning 100.6 kg) - 25 laps swimming, melon, brown rice spaghetti, watermelon, salad
    16th of July (morning 100.0 kg) - rice, curry, watermelon, chips, salmon
    17th of July (morning 99.7 kg) - brown rice, meat, quiche, watermelon, figs, soup, salmon, eggs
    That's great, you're steadily losing weight. Keep at it!
    I currently weight about 67kg

(Original post by Sic semper erat)
    That's not bad (haha at least seems low for me). I'm a 20 year old male, 185 cm heights so...

Don't bother walking, swimming is the best exercise. Your use your entire body and just easier.
    Yeah, I'm a 17 year old girl. 173 cm in height
    I hate swimming though. I used to do it a lot, bit now I don't.

ReputationRep:
    ^ doesn't mean you can't though. Unless you really haven't swam for ages, in which case you lose your ability to save yourself from drowning

But yeah, most basic advice is to be smart with your diet. Consume however much calories you expect to burn in your workout

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    ^ doesn't mean you can't though. Unless you really haven't swam for ages, in which case you lose your ability to save yourself from drowning

But yeah, most basic advice is to be smart with your diet. Consume however much calories you expect to burn in your workout
    I think I can still swim. But I have a phobia of pools, so I won't be going anywhere near one anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    You're really not eating enough. The best way to lose weight is to eat normally, with three regular meals, although you can skip extras like dessert and snacks during the day. Eating proper portions will give you the energy to do plenty of exercise and you'll just be able to function better. I wanted to lose weight, so I stopped snacking after school and I go on the treadmill three times a week. I've been doing this for about a month and have lost ~6/7 pounds. Because I'm eating the right amount (solid meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner) I feel so much better than before. Not eating enough will affect your hormone levels, if nothing more.

You do seem to be doing well though, so it should work out for you in the end

ReputationRep:
    You're not eating enough. Therefore you are not fuelling your body with the nutrients it needs for you to burn calories effectively with exercise. I wouldn't be surprised if by now you are feeling lethargic and tired all the time.

Losing weight is really quite simple, despite what the media will tell you.

All you need to remember is this: If you create a calorie deficit by burning more calories than you consume, you lose weight, It really is that simple.

I lost 40lbs in 12 weeks following a diet and fitness program http://dietplansreviewed.net/ recommended which does just that with a healthy, balanced diet and an exercise routine. If you follow a system that creates a calorie deficit, you will lose weight too.

I suggest the absolute minimum daily calorie intake is 1200cals. What you are doing is way under that threshold. I also suggest you take up cycling which will be easier on your asthma and burn more calories than walking.

There is no need to over-complicate things and it is not rocket-science, despite what you may have been told.

ReputationRep:
    Your first sentence was startling. A UK size 10 is a slim size - especially for someone your height.

What you're doing is a dangerous slope. Ultimately, it's your choice whether you want to lose weight or not, but you don't need to.

(Original post by Fanticipation)
    Your first sentence was startling. A UK size 10 is a slim size - especially for someone your height.

What you're doing is a dangerous slope. Ultimately, it's your choice whether you want to lose weight or not, but you don't need to.
    The problem is that I feel fat. I hate feeling any extra fat on me. That's why I want to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Don't starve yourself. Just eat at a calorie deficit and do some biking or other form of cardio to lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The problem is that I feel fat. I hate feeling any extra fat on me. That's why I want to lose weight.
    I honestly understand that feeling. It's inexplicably horrible. Please pm me. x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.