Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting fitter without using the gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm a relatively active and physically fit person. I horse ride, jog, use a cross trainer and do muscle exercises such as squats, lunges, jacknives and press ups etc. I also use the wii fit for the shadow boxing and set exercises. I'd say I do at least an hour of exercise a day and complete any jogging/ running and muscle exercises about 5 times a week. I'd also say I'm pretty toned.
    However, even though I currently have a part time job, I can't afford the monthly fees at the gym. I'm hoping to go to the gym in September at uni as they offer discounts for students. I also hope to get a job at uni too. Is there anything else I can do to improve my fitness which doesn't require the gym?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Try more difficult variations of the bodyweight exercises, and start doing sprint intervals. In preparation for the gym, start reading about proper barbell training.

ReputationRep:
    Put a pair of trainers on and go for a run or do sprints. You don't need a gym membership to get out of breath.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, running is one of the best ways to do that. If you can work up to doing 5-10 km consistently (say 2 times a week), you'll be very fit.
    Just find a place nearby you where you can run (ideally a park or something along those lines) and plan routes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.