Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how competitive admissions are for a postgraduate degree in Ecological Economics? I can't seem to find information anywhere other than a few people saying postgraduate degrees in economics are "intensively competitive" in the UK… (I am from the US but got a Bachelor's in Canada, so I don't know how much that will affect my chances)

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana T.)
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how competitive admissions are for a postgraduate degree in Ecological Economics? I can't seem to find information anywhere other than a few people saying postgraduate degrees in economics are "intensively competitive" in the UK… (I am from the US but got a Bachelor's in Canada, so I don't know how much that will affect my chances)

Thanks in advance.
    Generally speaking masters degrees aren't as competitive as bachelors degrees. With Econ it can be more competitive than other masters degrees due to the number of people interested in a job in the business world.

However, ecological economics doesn't sound too competitive. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, looking at the website Edinburgh seems to be willing to consider 2:2 degrees even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    Generally speaking masters degrees aren't as competitive as bachelors degrees. With Econ it can be more competitive than other masters degrees due to the number of people interested in a job in the business world.

However, ecological economics doesn't sound too competitive. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, looking at the website Edinburgh seems to be willing to consider 2:2 degrees even.
    Degrees in economics don't really help much in the business world - people do MBAs of Master in/of Finance usually. Or maths. Or something finance with maths.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the difficulty for this specific field, but generally if they state a set of minimum requirements, it does mean they admit people who meet that set of requirements and not necessarily more than that, as they look at each applicant holistically, based also on the quality of your references, your statement, and work experience.

The thing is though, I don't think Edinburgh charges for application, so why don't you just try and see how it goes? It's not going to hurt you, and they did seem to be quite efficient and responsive from my personal experience applying to their school of education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.