Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what stage should I do the theory test? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had my first driving lesson yesterday and I just wonder when is best to do the theory test? My instructor says it is best to get it out of the way as soon as possible so that when I have progressed enough to do my practical test I won't have anything holding me back from booking it.

How much revising is needed to pass it? Just wondered as I also study at university, so I will need to work revision around my study for that as well.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    I had my first driving lesson yesterday and I just wonder when is best to do the theory test? My instructor says it is best to get it out of the way as soon as possible so that when I have progressed enough to do my practical test I won't have anything holding me back from booking it.

How much revising is needed to pass it? Just wondered as I also study at university, so I will need to work revision around my study for that as well.

Thanks!

I'd agree it's best to get it out of the way ASAP.

Urm. I'd put it around the amount of a GCSE so if you hit about 5 total hours of reviison/learning you'll be fine. 90% of the questions are common sense so don't need learning. The Hazard perception videos are learning how to click correctly. If you get the DVD lessons thing it has hazard perception examples on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    After 5 or 6 lessons imo. There's some questions that become easier once you have a bit of experience under your belt.

The only thing I really needed to revise was the road signs and hazard perception. Road signs because not all of them exist round where my test center was, and hazard perception because there's patterns in the clicking that wouldn't necessarily be obvious if you hadn't practiced.

ReputationRep:
    I did it this morning and passed. I've had 9 practical lessons and spent about 6 hours in total revising for the test.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I did mine after about 20 lessons, but most people I know did it earlier. I knew I wouldn't be ready for the practical within 20 lessons. The more driving experience you have, the easier the hazard perception becomes, because you'll be more used to spotting hazards.

I read the highway code, and did a hazard perception DVD for about 2 months before the test. Did about 2 hours a week of studying for it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you buy the AA DVD Theory Test, a lot of the hazard perception clips and just general questions come up on the actual DVLA test as they use the official database! Think it's this DVD, but mine looked slightly different so not fully certain.

You want it out of the way as you can't book your practical until you've got the theory, and there are some hefty waiting times for each so you don't want to end up having to take unnecessary lessons at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses everyone, that's really helpful I have ordered all my books and DVD to prepare for the theory test and I think I will do it after a few more lessons, probably time it for after my uni exam in Aug.

(Original post by vimto39)
    Make sure you buy the AA DVD Theory Test, a lot of the hazard perception clips and just general questions come up on the actual DVLA test as they use the official database! Think it's this DVD, but mine looked slightly different so not fully certain.

You want it out of the way as you can't book your practical until you've got the theory, and there are some hefty waiting times for each so you don't want to end up having to take unnecessary lessons at the end.
    Thanks for the tip about the DVD, unfortunately I ordered a DVD 10 minutes before I read this post and it's a different one! :o: Hopefully it should still be good as it's an official DVSA one. https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/...st-kit-dvd-rom

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses everyone, that's really helpful I have ordered all my books and DVD to prepare for the theory test and I think I will do it after a few more lessons, probably time it for after my uni exam in Aug.

Thanks for the tip about the DVD, unfortunately I ordered a DVD 10 minutes before I read this post and it's a different one! :o: Hopefully it should still be good as it's an official DVSA one. https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/...st-kit-dvd-rom
    I'm sure it'll probably have the same content, or maybe even better stuff. With the hazard perception, the most important thing is watching the 'answers' where it highlights the hazards in red, so you can make sure you get ~100% on each practise clip and then if the same clips come up [at least a couple should] then you can take the pressure off some of the ones you haven't seen before.

Another good tip my instructor gave me was to test yourself on roadsigns and the general road layout markings and symbols [just see if you can remember what they are/mean] you need to know when being driven about by your parents, or whoever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.