Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Postgrad funding/benefits so many worries Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hello, I have an offer to do an early years teacher training course starting in September and, while I've worked really really hard for this and am thrilled about it, am worried and terrified.
    I have been sole carer for my husband for 13 years, since he had a breakdown and have practically raised our 3 children on my own. They are all settled in work/college now and my husband is coping well so it's time for a career for me - now that I'm almost 50! I have always wanted to teach and have done an OU degree in early years during the last few years.
    Anyway, I need to take out a tuition loan and have applied for a grant too via Student Finance. We have been on benefits for years and I am so grateful for the help that we have received. I am looking forward to being able to work again and feel that I am contributing to society, although I did work for years before I had my children and became a carer. I have been trying to get some advice but all I am told is that the rules for full time students are very complicated.
    I currently am on Income Support and get Carers Allowance and Child Tax Credit for my youngest as well as Child Benefit. My husband gets DLA and ESA. I am worried because I read a thread where a student was told, by the JobCentre, to give up her course because she couldn't get any help. I will need to buy a car to get to my school placements and was hoping to use the grant, if I qualify for it, to buy a cheap one. I feel this is our way out of the benefits 'trap' and really want to go for it.
    Can anyone advise please?
    Thank you for reading.

    Hi, is it early years initial teacher training to become an early years teacher?
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

    Sponsored features:

    Web Legend

    Win a Macbook Air!

    Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

    Quick link:

    Unanswered money and finance threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.