Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Every IB student I know here in the UAE has a MacBook, and as I'm about to move to an IB school, I need a new laptop. However, I was raised a PC person and can't afford Apple. Which notebook or ultrabook would you suggest I get? I take English Language and literature, Math, History and Economics at HL; French and Biology at SL.
    That leads me to my second question. I want to do history, but I haven't done it in two years. My new IB coordinator made me take four HLs. (She would kill me if I didn't take Math HL, she said) what do you think of this combination?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Any modern laptop will do the job for an IB student. The TSR laptop buyers' guide may prove useful in narrowing down your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iodised)
    Every IB student I know here in the UAE has a MacBook, and as I'm about to move to an IB school, I need a new laptop. However, I was raised a PC person and can't afford Apple. Which notebook or ultrabook would you suggest I get? I take English Language and literature, Math, History and Economics at HL; French and Biology at SL.
    That leads me to my second question. I want to do history, but I haven't done it in two years. My new IB coordinator made me take four HLs. (She would kill me if I didn't take Math HL, she said) what do you think of this combination?
    Hi, I live in UAE as well . Can I ask what school you're moving to ?

ReputationRep:
    I had an HP Pavilion that served me well all through IB, but really I don't know enough about what's currently available though. All I can say is try to get something with a good keyboard that's light enough to take to class when you need to.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TAKE FOUR HLS
    I know you've probably heard it before, and I'm sure that your IB coordinator had her reasons for wanting you too, and in the end it should be your decision. But math and history higher level require an insane amount work, so I'd advise you to choose between them. There shouldn't be any real problem taking history after not having done it for a while, since you'll probably be doing things that no one in the class has studied much before, but seriously the difference between HL and SL in it is normally pretty huge so even if you start doing HL to keep your options open, it might be one to consider dropping to SL after the first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Jo.)
    I had an HP Pavilion that served me well all through IB, but really I don't know enough about what's currently available though. All I can say is try to get something with a good keyboard that's light enough to take to class when you need to.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TAKE FOUR HLS
    I know you've probably heard it before, and I'm sure that your IB coordinator had her reasons for wanting you too, and in the end it should be your decision. But math and history higher level require an insane amount work, so I'd advise you to choose between them. There shouldn't be any real problem taking history after not having done it for a while, since you'll probably be doing things that no one in the class has studied much before, but seriously the difference between HL and SL in it is normally pretty huge so even if you start doing HL to keep your options open, it might be one to consider dropping to SL after the first year.
    Would an ultrabook do, or would I need a laptop proper? Also, thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.