Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i just started this job two weeks ago and ive been doing a lot of over time due to the summer sales, got paid, checked my amount today and ive been underpaid by around £90!
    I'm really annoyed because all of that effort and work was just pointless and ive seen a lot of people complain about this company! I'm only working there for some experience so that i can find a better job during christmas. What should i do?:mad::confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's not whsmith is it? Get the hell out now if so they will lie and write the rota and mislead you not according to what you were told when hired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    It's not whsmith is it? Get the hell out now if so they will lie and write the rota and mislead you not according to what you were told when hired
    no its not and i cant because i really need experience to get a better job, ive been looking for a job for a full year and struggled just because i didnt have the experience!

ive been told when i started by an employee that he also got underpaid the first month but it is seen as normal and once i work a full month ill get my full amount but im still sceptical about it

ReputationRep:
    That shouldn't happen unless you've been emergency taxed perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    That shouldn't happen unless you've been emergency taxed perhaps?
    I dont think that I did tbh but I'm just shocked at how much theyve underpaid me!!

ReputationRep:
    Ask your manager to talk you through your paycheck. Maybe the cut-off date for the days worked for that pay period isn't when you thought, and the most recent days will be paid next time. Or maybe some of your overtime wasn't logged right. Anyway, only your manager and payroll can say for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    Ask your manager to talk you through your paycheck. Maybe the cut-off date for the days worked for that pay period isn't when you thought, and the most recent days will be paid next time. Or maybe some of your overtime wasn't logged right. Anyway, only your manager and payroll can say for sure.
    my over time days were recorded by two managers so that isnt the case! I probably will speak to a manager or supervisor about this and hopefully it will get sorted out by next pay!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

The most likely reasons are that you are on an emergency tax code or that there is a timing issue. If you work (say) "a week in hand" you will only have been paid for one of the 2 weeks you've already worked. Effectively you will always be paid a week in arrears and are "owed" a weeks pay while you are with that employer. You get this "week in hand" back when you leave.

If you aren't working a week in hand or have an emergency tax code ask your manager to explain your payslip to you. If they have made a mistake they should correct it

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you got taxed too much and you'll get it back eventually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessawills)
    Hey guys i just started this job two weeks ago and ive been doing a lot of over time due to the summer sales, got paid, checked my amount today and ive been underpaid by around £90!
    I'm really annoyed because all of that effort and work was just pointless and ive seen a lot of people complain about this company! I'm only working there for some experience so that i can find a better job during christmas. What should i do?:mad::confused:
    As others have said, this is likely to be either due to the cut off date for payroll, or due to emergency tax.

When I started at my current (retail) job as a Christmas temp, I'd be paid a week in arrears. So, this month, if this were still the case, I'd be paid on the Friday for the previous full week - ie paid on the 18th for the hours I worked in the week 6th - 12th.
    I currently get paid monthly, but still in a similar way. At the end of the month I get my basic rate for that month (so my contracted hours) and any overtime for the previous month. So at the end of this month I'll get my basic for July and overtime for June.

If you only started 2 weeks ago you're unlikely to be paid for the full 2 weeks you've already worked. Speak to your manager, check out when the payroll cut-off is, and how you should be paid. If there has been a mistake it should be fairly easy for payroll to clear it up for you :yy:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.