Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances of getting in to Oxford for MMath with a First from Brunel Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've been doing well at Brunel and have received a prize for getting the highest grades (which averaged to a First) in my course.

If I do this well in my final year, do you think I'll have a chance of getting into Oxford for a post-grad course in Maths, despite Brunel not being a prestigious university?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    A very good chance - your undergraduate university won't be part of their consideration.

Compliment that with a strong statement of purpose/research proposal and encouraging references, and you are in a great position.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupacante)
    Hi all,

I've been doing well at Brunel and have received a prize for getting the highest grades (which averaged to a First) in my course.

If I do this well in my final year, do you think I'll have a chance of getting into Oxford for a post-grad course in Maths, despite Brunel not being a prestigious university?

Thank you
    MMath is an undergraduate degree lasting 4 years. You probably mean the MSc Link

ReputationRep:
    As MoS says above, your undergrad Uni has little bearing on your acceptance for a 'higher' Uni for postgrad. They will be far more interested in you getting a top First, your dissertation topic and what your referees say about your potential for higher study or research than any snobbery about the brand of Uni you went to. Many A level students and/or undergrads get the wrong idea about this and are convinced that going to an ex-Poly or similar will condemn them to the academic backwaters forever. It doesn't. I work at a very 'traditional' RG Uni - in every recruitment round for both PhDs and junior teaching posts there are always a very eclectic mix of background Unis, and that fact has no impact on interview/appointment decisions. PS. And my first degree wasn't from an RG Uni either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.