Turn on thread page Beta

Durhams "free fall " in league tables. watch

ReputationRep:
    I would be really grateful for your opinions. Do you think Durhams drop in position is due to the Stockton Campus as suggested on another thread, or a genuine drop in standards in comparison to other unis. The league tables are so confusing!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know or even particularly care but I think you need to learn how to use the apostrophe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I don't know or even particularly care but I think you need to learn how to use the apostrophe.
    Hehe! Should've used a hyphen as well.

Take league tables with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    I think having Newcastle next door is a problem as well for Durham. It is popular.

ReputationRep:
    According to the times this is just a bad year, last year it was quite a few places higher. All the universities except for the top few jump around a lot. Probably better to take an average of say, 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    According to the times this is just a bad year, last year it was quite a few places higher. All the universities except for the top few jump around a lot. Probably better to take an average of say, 5 years.
    And across newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    And across newspapers.
    Yes, the times and the guardian are probably the most respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Yes, the times and the guardian are probably the most respected.
    The Times guide is the most respected.

As with all university league tables, don't take them too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Also if you're gonna look at league tables use the ones specific to your subject

ReputationRep:
    Beware of "value added scores"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Beware of "value added scores"!
    yeah, all the best unis will have low ones beacause they only accept people who are good alredy

(Original post by cobra01977)
    Also if you're gonna look at league tables use the ones specific to your subject
    ...in conjunction with the overall rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who uses the Financial Times' league tables? Not only to they seem far more autorative (and accurate,) but they also give detailed explanations behind each individual score.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    Am I the only person who uses the Financial Times' league tables? Not only to they seem far more autorative (and accurate,) but they also give detailed explanations behind each individual score.

Tom
    Must admit that I haven't looked at the FT ranking before. But it does seem very reliable (as far as league tables go, that is). I could only find one for 2001 however, is there a newer one? Will there be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I think having Newcastle next door is a problem as well for Durham. It is popular.
    Hey Shiny,

What do you mean exactly by this?

Its a problem for Newcastle or Durham? And who is popular?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Durham's a very solid place. But the mystery is not why it's 'in freefall' ,but why it had quite such an exalted reputation in the first place. The performance indicators, historical or current, are just not that special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    I'm sure Durham's a very solid place. But the mystery is not why it's 'in freefall' ,but why it had quite such an exalted reputation in the first place. The performance indicators, historical or current, are just not that special.
    i'd agree with this. there seems to be very little basis for durhams current popularity. as a uni it's good, but well, just not that good. in relation to research they've not exactly done anything groundbreaking. maybe durham's reputation comes from its blatent attepts to sell itself as the oxbridge alternative.....and maybe people have finally began to see through the facade...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    i'd agree with this. there seems to be very little basis for durhams current popularity. as a uni it's good, but well, just not that good. in relation to research they've not exactly done anything groundbreaking. maybe durham's reputation comes from its blatent attepts to sell itself as the oxbridge alternative.....and maybe people have finally began to see through the facade...
    i would dissagree with that sweeping statemnt about research, some departments dont do much but the sciences, in particular chemistry i know of, partcipates in a large amout of important reasearch, which is covered in the scientific press

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    maybe durham's reputation comes from its blatent attepts to sell itself as the oxbridge alternative.....and maybe people have finally began to see through the facade...
    The funny thing, is that I've only ever heard all this "oxbridge alternative" nonsence on these message boards....there's nothing about it being "the" oxbridge alternative in the Durham prospectus, or on any Durham websites.
    It's really just a cliché, which is perpetuated, not by Durham uni itself, but by people, like the ones on these message boards, who are themselves wholly unconnected with Durham, and have simply heard a similar comment made by someone else, and then feel the need to repeat it ad nauseum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    i would dissagree with that sweeping statemnt about research, some departments dont do much but the sciences, in particular chemistry i know of, partcipates in a large amout of important reasearch, which is covered in the scientific press
    i'll admit i was being very general. i'm not denying durham do some good research, of course they do. what i'm saying is that the uni's reputation would suggest that far more has been accomplished than actually has been. it may have a good research record in some areas, but no better than any other top 30 uni, it's position as a top 10 UK uni just doesn't seem to be justified by its research output.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.