The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wishli
It's extremely stupid for me to be upset about this since most people would be happy with what I got, but here goes:

A in Higher English
A in Higher Bio
B in Higher Art
B in Modern Studies

I'm just so disappointed at the Bs, the last thing I expected was a B in art since it's my strongest subject next to biology and what I want to do when I'm older. I want to do Advanced Higher Art but I'm so scared I won't be allowed into the course now, I know I have the ability to do it but the written exam really let me down. An A in English was a nice surprise at least.

I dunno, I'm just upset because I've went from 6 As and two 1s in Int 2/Credit last year to this.

Hey mate - honestly don't worry about it. Soon you wont even care! Congratulations on what you got though!
Original post by Wishli
It's extremely stupid for me to be upset about this since most people would be happy with what I got, but here goes:

A in Higher English
A in Higher Bio
B in Higher Art
B in Modern Studies

I'm just so disappointed at the Bs, the last thing I expected was a B in art since it's my strongest subject next to biology and what I want to do when I'm older. I want to do Advanced Higher Art but I'm so scared I won't be allowed into the course now, I know I have the ability to do it but the written exam really let me down. An A in English was a nice surprise at least.

I dunno, I'm just upset because I've went from 6 As and two 1s in Int 2/Credit last year to this.

Well done, they're really good :congrats:
The best thing to do is talk to your school about AH art, they might still let you do it as a B is really good :smile:
Original post by Blabyda
Jesus Christ the boundaries for AH physics were high! 85% for an A?
I'm just impressed that I got over 73%, might be a B but it's a decent mark and still an improvement on my prelim.

It's not 85% for an A its 85/125 for an A, that's 68% for an A.
Original post by Daiki_Aomine
Really pleased with my results
All highers

Accounting - A
Biology - A
Computing - A
Maths - A
Physics - B (Got a B in prelim, so its still good)

Awesome mate - congratulations!!! What are you going onto now then? Advanced Highers or uni?
All highers

Accounting - A
Biology - A
Computing - A
Maths - A

:woo: They're great, well done!
Reply 1945
Original post by Blabyda
I'm just impressed that I got over 73%, might be a B but it's a decent mark and still an improvement on my prelim.

Pretty sure those aren't percentages, the pass mark (for an A at least) was actually pretty low this year.
Original post by Blabyda

Its not a percentage, its a mark out of 125. :smile:

So 85/125 = 68% and 73/125 = 58%

I know where you're coming from I thought the same at first too.
Original post by Delenelie
I wanted to study Bioveterinary Sciences at Glasgow Uni. Now I'm looking at Biological Sciences at Heriot Watt they require BBBBC at higher.
My grades are AABBCC at Higher and a D at AH.
I really want to call them now but I am abroad and I'm coming home in 2 days. So I'm afraid the place will be gone by the time I come back home.
I'm not sure what to do... Emailing them isn't an option, is it?

Absolutely no harm in e-mailing them. :no:

The Biological Sciences course would be a good option - you'll get to focus on a lot of the same things. :smile:
Remember Clearing closes on the 8th, so you have to be quick about it!

Original post by Wishli

A in Higher English
A in Higher Bio
B in Higher Art
B in Modern Studies

Really no reason to be upset with these grades, mate. They're fantastic. Especially the B in Higher Art - it's a really difficult subject to get a high grade in. B is totally sufficient to do Advanced Higher (the SQA recommend a pass!), and it's up to your school's policy whether you can do it or not. If you have a good track record in Art and a high ability, your teachers will recognise that. Best thing to do is just talk to them when they're free. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Motorbiker
[scrollr]:woo:[/scrollr]
[scroll]:woo:[/scroll]

CONGRATS!

Celebration plans?
well done !!!!
Original post by Delenelie
I wanted to study Bioveterinary Sciences at Glasgow Uni. Now I'm looking at Biological Sciences at Heriot Watt they require BBBBC at higher.
My grades are AABBCC at Higher and a D at AH.
I really want to call them now but I am abroad and I'm coming home in 2 days. So I'm afraid the place will be gone by the time I come back home.
I'm not sure what to do... Emailing them isn't an option, is it?

I would suggest you try and contact them today by phone if you can as that way you can get a faster response compared to email, I understand this might be an expensive option but if it confirms you getting a place at university then it'll all be worth it :smile:

Clearing on track will open at 2:30pm today, so if you call them before that time and have a verbal confirmation that they'll accept you then once you put it into track, then it shouldn't be too long until you receive the offer :smile:

I just think leaving it for a few days would decrease your chance of getting a place, so definitely try to get in contact with them today :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
All highers

Accounting - A
Biology - A
Computing - A
Maths - A

Congrats!!! :biggrin: :party:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Honestly not sure, mate, some unis will accept AH grades in lieu of Higher grades, but some won't.
Your 2 A Highers would be fine, but it's the AHs that's the problem. Best talking to your advisor at school and universities themselves.

Remember you don't need to do biomedical science to so Graduate-Entry Medicine: other courses are fine as well. :smile:

There's also the fact that taking 2 Advanced Highers with 2 Highers might be risky given the high workload compared to what you'll have done in S5!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey ! first of all 5 highers is fab so please be happy ! 2nd of all i think its probably best to focus on 2 has next year and really going for the As. Even the uk's very top units rarely expect more than 2As in ah and so getting them would be fab !!! good luck !
Original post by Motorbiker

CONGRATS!

Celebration plans?

Thanks! Well i dunno, I have a rather tempting box of wine that is screaming for some attention.
Original post by iNeedHelpNao
It's not 85% for an A its 85/125 for an A, that's 68% for an A.

I'm an actual idiot.
I'm sure I've made this mistake like 5 times before I really should read things properly
Reply 1954
Original post by NinetyOne
Thanks! Well i dunno, I have a rather tempting box of wine that is screaming for some attention.

Make the most of the day. You don't get results everyday. :yes:
Reply 1955
Thanks for all the reassurances, it probably didn't help that I'm in the house alone and had to open them by myself, so many things were going through my mind I guess. In my prelims I got a C for Art and Mods so I suppose I should be happy I got one grade higher.

If the SQA recommend a pass for AH art then hopefully I should be okay, I do have the ability to do advanced art so here's hoping!
Original post by Blabyda
I'm an actual idiot.
I'm sure I've made this mistake like 5 times before I really should read things properly

haha , ive made that mistake so often as well !!!
Anyone know how you can find out if you got an A band 1, A band 2, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another question regarding saas. I applied to saas for my firm - on the form it states strathclyde. However because I missed my conditions for my firm , does that mean I have to go through the whole saas application procedure, or do I just ring them
Original post by SleepingStag
Anyone know how you can find out if you got an A band 1, A band 2, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phone your school. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending