Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm using this article from the BBC website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25744955

And for my reference list I've used this:

Treanor, S. 2014. Banking bonuses: How much do they matter?, BBC News. [Online]. [Accessed 28th June 2014]. Available from:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25744955

However in the main body of my essay I'm using a quote from that article but it's been quoted by John Purcell:
    "If the likes of RBS were to be ultimately damaged by high-performing people leaving, that ultimately damages us on the whole as an economy."

How do I cite this in my essay, do I use the author of the article or Purcell? Do I have to make a new reference in my reference list using Purcell's name and then the article?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    If the entire original quote appears in the article, then you can use that article as your source. Only if you are quoting something from the Purcell piece, or using his analysis, do you need to include him.

ReputationRep:
    According to the version of Harvard in use at my current uni, the in-text reference for the direct quote by Purcell would be:

(Purcell in Treanor 2014)

The full reference in the bibliography would remain as you already have it, under Treanor. You wouldn't reference Purcell in the bibliography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    If the entire original quote appears in the article, then you can use that article as your source. Only if you are quoting something from the Purcell piece, or using his analysis, do you need to include him.
    (Original post by Klix88)
    According to the version of Harvard in use at my current uni, the in-text reference for the direct quote by Purcell would be:

(Purcell in Treanor 2014)

The full reference in the bibliography would remain as you already have it, under Treanor. You wouldn't reference Purcell in the bibliography.

ReputationRep:
    If i'm referencing something and adapt the information, i have a bibliography, how would i link the adapted text to the bibliography? for gcse i just used [1...](text)[..1] to denote where the information started and finished from source 1. but that seems to basic :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westeros)
    x
    (Original post by Klix88)
    x
    (Original post by tory88)
    x
    see above please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.