Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

SFE won't fund two years of my degree, as I withdrew from a previous course in 2006. This was a midwifery diploma. This leaves me in a situation where basically I can't attend university. Do I have any place to appeal, since it was a midwifery diploma and funded by the NHS? Does it have anything to do with student finance?

Spoke to uni but they can only help so much.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ask Student Finance if there is an appeals process ?

Why not go to the midwifery depart of your local hospital and ask some of the staff there what they would advise ?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flores)
    SFE won't fund two years of my degree, as I withdrew from a previous course in 2006. This was a midwifery diploma. This leaves me in a situation where basically I can't attend university. Do I have any place to appeal, since it was a midwifery diploma and funded by the NHS? Does it have anything to do with student finance?
    It depends why you withdrew from your first course. As you only have two years of funding available, I'm assuming that you passed your first year but dropped out during your second year.

You may be able to claim Compelling Personal Reasons for leaving your course e.g. an illness or family situation which prevented you from studying. If successful, this would restore one year of funding and allow you to complete a new degree with full SF funding. However your claim for CPR would have to be supported by letters from professionals who helped deal with the problem e.g. GP, hospital consultant, counsellor etc.

If you just left your first course by choice because you didn't get on with it, then you will have no right of appeal.

The calculation of SF entitlement is based on previous years of uni-level study, and not how much SF you've previously had or whether a uni course was funded by other bodies such as the NHS. Partial years at uni are counted as complete for the purposes of the calculation which is:

Number of years of new degree course (minus) Number of previous years of uni-level study (plus) Any year of entitlement restored via a successful CPR appeal (plus) One year = Number of years of SF entitlement remaining

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.