Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How you live with your flatmates in halls?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how it is socially with flatmates in halls. For example, how do flatmates generally agree on things like cleaning duties, where each person puts stuff in kitchens, cooking, buying shared items like washing up liquid...? I don't imagine you all stand in a circle upon meeting each other and say "I volunteer as tribute to take out the trash!"

I'm only familiar with the American collegiate system, which is completely different! No one would have to ask flatmates about this.

Feel free to add your own stories/rants/whatever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackpuma137)
    Just wondering how it is socially with flatmates in halls. For example, how do flatmates generally agree on things like cleaning duties, where each person puts stuff in kitchens, cooking, buying shared items like washing up liquid...? I don't imagine you all stand in a circle upon meeting each other and say "I volunteer as tribute to take out the trash!"

I'm only familiar with the American collegiate system, which is completely different! No one would have to ask flatmates about this.

In first year everyone had their own washing up liquid and we just took out the bin when it was full - no rota or anything. But then some people never took out the bin so it was a little unfair. I arrived first to I just grabbed a cupboard and put my stuff in it. Then everyone else did the same. We had a cleaner in halls so we just had to make sure we didn't make a huge mess and then the cleaner did it.

This year again we had no rota for anything - we just did it when it needed doing. We shared things like washing-up liquid this year. And again, we just grabbed a cupboard. I'm short so I got a under-counter one whilst my taller housemates got higher cupboards.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay, that's quite helpful. When you guys shared, how did you decide on that/how did you organize that? Just whoever bought it that week didn't buy it the next time, or was it more structured?

ReputationRep:
    Our kitchens were cleaned weekly with the trash taken out and we had en suites so there wasn't much to share out in terms of cleaning. With things like washing up liquid, we usually bought our own but everyone used everyone else's too. We all had our own cupboards to put our pots/pans etc.

ReputationRep:
    I did some shared cooking with the people I liked, we did the washing up as we went or as it began to look like a makeshift game of Jenga. We took the bin out when the kitchen began to resemble a landfill site. We had no rotas for anything and some people in halls got really annoyed with us.

ReputationRep:
    This is all really helpful, thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay, that's quite helpful. When you guys shared, how did you decide on that/how did you organize that? Just whoever bought it that week didn't buy it the next time, or was it more structured?
    We buy stuff when we see that we needed more. No structure at all. Like, my housemate never bought kitchen roll but I bought it like every other week and in two years I've bought washing up liquid like once cos my housemates always bought it. Really relaxed. But I know some houses are really strict and have a special account for stuff like that. Seems excessive. As long as everyone's spending some money I don't care whether I pay a little more or less over the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    We buy stuff when we see that we needed more. No structure at all. Like, my housemate never bought kitchen roll but I bought it like every other week and in two years I've bought washing up liquid like once cos my housemates always bought it. Really relaxed. But I know some houses are really strict and have a special account for stuff like that. Seems excessive. As long as everyone's spending some money I don't care whether I pay a little more or less over the year.
    Ah okay; again, this is really helpful to me. I was a bit worried that things like a working rota, agreements on buying things like washing up liquid were things with a set social structure? Like since everyone would more or less be from the UK all my flatmates would already know that they were going to do things a certain way and I'd be left on the side like :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay; again, this is really helpful to me. I was a bit worried that things like a working rota, agreements on buying things like washing up liquid were things with a set social structure? Like since everyone would more or less be from the UK all my flatmates would already know that they were going to do things a certain way and I'd be left on the side like :confused:
    Literally every flat/house does it differently. You'll just fall into a pattern which works for you as a group.

ReputationRep:

Basically, either one person will be bullied into it by everyone else, or you'll all just wait until the night before inspections and embark on a mass clean up. I got away with using other people's **** for most of the year tbh lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Basically, either one person will be bullied into it by everyone else, or you'll all just wait until the night before inspections and embark on a mass clean up. I got away with using other people's **** for most of the year tbh lol
    Lol, no offense, but this is exactly what I'd want to avoid. I'd rather do my own cleaning up, don't really trust others to do it well enough....

ReputationRep:
    Luckily we had a cleaner so didn't have to worry about who cleaned the kitchen or who takes out the rubbish
    Own bathroom too so we didn't have to clean that it share toilet roll, soap etc
    This year we don't so it'll be interesting to see how that goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.