Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I will be moving into UCL student housing (Langton Close) in September. I would like to know a little bit about how you connect to the internet in student accommodation.

1. I have two devices. My desktop (mostly for gaming) and my laptop (mostly for work). Am I able to connect both at the same time (e.g. one through the Ethernet socket and the other via wifi), considering you have to sign in with your UCL account to use the network? Also, is a driver/software required to use the ethernet connection or is it plug and play?

2. What is the speed of the network like in halls (I know it's great on campus)?

3. Are there any restrictions on the network, like blocked sites or outgoing ports?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, I would be very grateful. I look forward to seeing you all in September!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm not quite sure of what I'm going to say but I read somewhere that the Internet costs £70 per year and there is no WiFi in the rooms.
    I don't know if it is true but I'm going to Langton Close in September so we'll figure it out there! Sorry I can't give anymore advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmabosquet)
    Hello!

I'm not quite sure of what I'm going to say but I read somewhere that the Internet costs £70 per year and there is no WiFi in the rooms.
    I don't know if it is true but I'm going to Langton Close in September so we'll figure it out there! Sorry I can't give anymore advice
    Isn't internet included in the rent? :O

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was until I read someone saying you had to pay 70 pounds per year. I don't know if it's true, I don't want to upset you! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmabosquet)
    Hello!

Good to see someone else that's going to be at Langton Close! What are you going to be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedfoo25)
    Good to see someone else that's going to be at Langton Close! What are you going to be studying?
    I'm studying Translation and Interpreting in Barcelona, but in UCL I'll just take four courses of ELCS. I'm quite lost with my schedule and that stuff. And you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I stayed in Schafer two years ago, internet connection was via ethernet and individual wifi was forbidden. People got their own routers anyway, of course. The connection speeds were pretty slow, but it might have improved since I was there.

Edit: Hadn't realised how long ago the OP was posted Oh well, hopefully this will be useful to someone.

ReputationRep:
    I was at Schafer 4 years ago and I dont remember any extra 70. And yes you have to connect through ethernet cable. I dont think I had any problems with the internet when it was running normally. Although I do remember there being days when they had to do maintenance and the internet was out for a good amount of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Translation and Interpreting in Barcelona, but in UCL I'll just take four courses of ELCS. I'm quite lost with my schedule and that stuff. And you?
    MEng MathComp. Looking forward to arriving but still unsure about a lot of stuff like food shopping etc.

P.S. sorry for late reply, TSR email notification stopped working for some reason

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.