Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Can someone explain to me what this means:

"Hydrogen bonds restrict the motion of water molecules and increases in the temperature of water require hydrogen bonds to be broken."

Does that mean the strength of hydrogen bonds in water increase as the temperature increases?

Can someone give me a reply asap? its really important
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a material. Hydrogen bonds hold water molecules together and approximately in place - so in order for the water's temperature to increase, the molecules must move around more. The only way to get the molecules to move around is to break some of the hydrogen bonds holding them in place, and so an increase in temperature requires hydrogen bonds to be broken.

The strength of hydrogen bonds is not temperature dependent, as far as I know, and it isn't what the sentence is saying.

ReputationRep:
    Idk but is this sentence really convoluted?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.