Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever eat something someone else has made, even if you hate it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Example, when I stay at my Grandma's she'll sometimes make stew and dumplins or something with this disgusting flakey steak.

I always eat it though, despite not liking it much, just out of courtesy

ReputationRep:
    Yep, happened to me once.

The girlfriend, as wonderful of a cook as she is, made a pie with the hardest, blandest, most impenetrable pastry I've ever witnessed. Kevlar would have been easier to tackle.

I somehow ate some of it, but then realised that she may want to cook it again; that took SOME egg-shell walking to voice to her, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    yes, you have to eat it, it would be rude not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    yes, you have to eat it, it would be rude not to.
    I don't exactly hate stew, but I'd rather not have it but if it was physically something I don't like (although they know most things I don't like) say cheese and mushrooms than I wouldn't eat it, unless they want sick everywhere after

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's just being polite. But it's absolute murder lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I can force it down I will, parents taught me it's rude to leave food on a plate, not to mention wasteful. But some things I just can't handle the taste without gagging, so I'd have to politely decline.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    I don't exactly hate stew, but I'd rather not have it but if it was physically something I don't like (although they know most things I don't like) say cheese and mushrooms than I wouldn't eat it, unless they want sick everywhere after
    I know exactly what you mean. I find myself in this situation very often. Someone cooks you food that you simply do not want to eat. But I still try to eat at least some of it, maybe not all of it. I don't like carbs, I'm interested pretty much only in meat...but my stepmum prepares a HUGE, MASSIVE amount of carb-rich foods...and I'm like...:no::nooo: . I don't mind eating it, but she prepares it in such enormous quantities, I feel bad only being able to eat small portions, she expects me to stuff my face and I just can't do that. But I still have to eat it

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean. I find myself in this situation very often. Someone cooks you food that you simply do not want to eat. But I still try to eat at least some of it, maybe not all of it. I don't like carbs, I'm interested pretty much only in meat...but my stepmum prepares a HUGE, MASSIVE amount of carb-rich foods...and I'm like...:no::nooo: . I don't mind eating it, but she prepares it in such enormous quantities, I feel bad only being able to eat small portions, she expects me to stuff my face and I just can't do that. But I still have to eat it
    Yeh I get that, like I only want to eat mostly meat but as I don't have a job to buy the meat I can't exactly demand them to buy bulk meat, and some things my mum or grandma make is just no meat at all and it's like ugh

ReputationRep:
    If my mother's made it I'll decline, if I'm at someone else's housing rarely get anything I won't eat I'll usually try and force it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    If my mother's made it I'll decline
    How does she feel, does she get upset? I wish I could just say no.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly virtually everything my mother in law makes - she is the world's worst cook. Her speciality dishes include over boiling all veg until they wilt. Baked potatoes that are burned. Her made up flan called oat flan bake - which is hideous - tastes like how I imagine sawdust would taste. Grated carrot mixed with raisins. I eat it out of courtesy because it would look terrible if I didn't. I had to shell out £31 for lunch with her the other day to avoid her cooking me lunch.

ReputationRep:
    yes, ***. would've been awkward otherwise

ReputationRep:
    How does she feel, does she get upset? I wish I could just say no.
    She doesn't really care, she knows I don't like certain things - she'll just tell me to make something for myself if I get hungry

ReputationRep:
    lmao all this is common courtesy. You can't tell the person that made the food that it sucks! No way, you just eat it now and puke later if you want to or just pop a chewing gum after you eat it

ReputationRep:
    Lol , i would just leave it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My wife's grandmothers both make some really bad food. I try my best to eat as much of it as I can but sometimes it doesn't matter how hard I try it just won't go down (I'm not a fussy eater at all btw) :yucky:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.