Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm desperate for some advice, so anything anyone can help me with I'll take...!

I'm currently studying part time with the Open University, but I'd like to move into full time education in my local university (if I'm super lucky). I realise I'm probably a little late for this year. My next module for the OU hasn't gone through yet and I don't believe the student loan for it is through either. If I were to theoretically stop my OU degree and start a full-time degree in a brick university in pretty much the same subject, how would that affect me? Would that reflect badly on me? Would my student loan be happy to cover this? Or is it possible to do both at the same time (if i did another subject)? Would I be able to carry over my credits?

Sorry for the stream of endless dumb questions, I'm very new to this and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, in case you couldn't tell. I've read through the FAQ thread but it doesn't seem to apply to OU courses. I feel like a drowning kitten.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What stage are you at in your OU degree? What modules have you done? What degree do you want to do a brick university?

It is possible to transfer from the OU to a brick university, if you have 120 credits at level 1 then you will usually be expected to start from scratch on your new degree (this is what I'm doing). However at certain universities you could transfer right into the second year (Aberdeen for example said I could) - ask your local university and see. If you have not done more than 120 credits then you will be entitled to a full student loan on your new degree even if you start from the beginning because everyone is entitled to a loan which covers the full length of their degree plus one extra year.

I don't think switching from the OU to a brick university would reflect badly on you. You wouldn't get a loan to do them both at the same time, and you won't get a loan to do a second degree after you've finished the first. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of thanks! I was completely out of my depth there for a long while, heh.

I'm just finishing off second year (it was part-time), and have 120 credits and I would try to take the same subject(ish) at a brick Uni. If not I'd take a second choice in something else, and am perfectly happy to start the degree again.

Really big thank you for replying, if I'm reading right you went through it too so it's great to know it can be done with no problems...!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraD1992)
    Lots of thanks! I was completely out of my depth there for a long while, heh.

I'm just finishing off second year (it was part-time), and have 120 credits and I would try to take the same subject(ish) at a brick Uni. If not I'd take a second choice in something else, and am perfectly happy to start the degree again.

Really big thank you for replying, if I'm reading right you went through it too so it's great to know it can be done with no problems...!
    No problem! You should check with each university you're interested in to see if they'd let you start from the second year, just to be sure. Yep I've done the same thing so it can definitely be done. I also have 120 credits and I'm going to start a BA in Norwegian and History at UCL next year. What would you like to study?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing English Language and Literature with the OU so I'd do something similar, or Liberal Arts looks pretty interesting as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.