Turn on thread page Beta
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    i dont mean to offend people but why should they be helped??? i foresee people saying "its not their fault" etc

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it is their fault they should still be helped. If only to prevent them from stealing to buy drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking more along the lines of "if they aren't help they could end up killing themselves as well as harming others in society." It is an addiction after all, that has to be considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    Even if it is their fault they should still be helped. If only to prevent them from stealing to buy drugs.
    Or dropping dirty syringes on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think they should be helped. It is not aways there fault people can get addicted to drugs perscribed by their doctors that isn't their fault. People who are addicted to ciggerettes, alchol, gambling even sex can all get help so why shouldn't we help drug addicts because they are in my oppinion the most vulnerable. If we help rehabilitate people then it can reduce crime and help someone get their life back. Reversing vasectomies is done on the NHS it could be said that this is the persons fault for haveing it is the first place. People with HIV and other STD's ar treated so why are these people any more deserving than drug addicts. We should help, support and treat them where possible

ReputationRep:
    welll i think that if they OD and die then i think that no one should feel sorry for them its their own fault! drugs prescribed by doctors are not as bad as cocaine etc i was thinking more on the lines of the more dangerous drugs likes heroine etc and speed

ReputationRep:
    Look at it the other way round. What kind of a society would be live in if we didn't help them?

ReputationRep:
    I think that anyone with an addiction should be helped even if self-inflicted.

To be dependent on some outside influence is demeaning to the human psyche. It robs a person of self-esteem, decency, kindness and compassion.

In the case of drug addicts, and I include alcoholics and smokers in this category, I think the best way is to go 'cold turkey', be removed from the environment sustaining the addiction and receive psycho-therapy until the 'self' is returned and both the physical and emotional cravings are conquered.

This should be the support offered by any decent society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I think that anyone with an addiction should be helped even if self-inflicted.

To be dependent on some outside influence is demeaning to the human psyche. It robs a person of self-esteem, decency, kindness and compassion.

In the case of drug addicts, and I include alcoholics and smokers in this category, I think the best way is to go 'cold turkey', be removed from the environment sustaining the addiction and receive psycho-therapy until the 'self' is returned and both the physical and emotional cravings are conquered.

This should be the support offered by any decent society
    I reach the same conclusions through a practical argument - helping addicts helps society. Not only is it morally right, it also makes everyone else's lives easier. It's a well known fact imprisoning addicts is hugely more expensive then treating them; the proportion of drug-related non-violent crime in this country is huge. To put it simply, if we treated people properly, rather than labelling them as failures/outcastes/psychos or anything else, the country would save hundreds of millions of in prison funding, and reduce crime. Unfortunately, it seems people's natural fear of those different to them has prevented this eminently sensible outcome from occuring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    i dont mean to offend people but why should they be helped??? i foresee people saying "its not their fault" etc
    it think the social benefit is great helping drug addicts, but also the nhs cost increase...

ReputationRep:
    Yes...If it's not their fault....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Yes...If it's not their fault....
    Well they do choose to take them, so in effect it is their fault. But why do they choose to take them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well they do choose to take them, so in effect it is their fault. But why do they choose to take them?
    It's a combination of things. Firstly, people don't make well-informed choices, believing they will be strong enough to avoid addiction, or get over it, or whatever. More importantly, I suspect, is that they not make a rational choice - they take drugs as a result of some external pressure (being very bored/depressed/under peer pressure) which means that even though they know the risks they do not consider fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    It's a combination of things. Firstly, people don't make well-informed choices, believing they will be strong enough to avoid addiction, or get over it, or whatever. More importantly, I suspect, is that they not make a rational choice - they take drugs as a result of some external pressure (being very bored/depressed/under peer pressure) which means that even though they know the risks they do not consider fully.
    Or because they are pissed in a club and get offered drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think these people deserve help, but i don't think it's morally right to leave them to rot, so i would help them. However, i buy don't this rubbish about them being victims. they knew the risks, but they took the dumbarse route and ignored the warnings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    I don't think hese people deserve help, but i don't think it's morally right to leave them to rot, so i would help them. However, i don't this rubbish about them being victims. they knew the risks, but they took the dumbarse route and ignored the warnings.
    Bear in mind that not everyone knows/believes the warnings, hard to believe though it is.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if they are really truely trying to change then they should be helped, but I don't think that drugies should be sent to free support groups instead of prison.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.