Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay I assume this is the right thread to post on (considering it's about A levels, but I'm sorry if I'm wrong).

So basically I'm a year 11 student awaiting GCSE results day, and I applied to my school's 6th form in January and got accepted and they offered all of the courses that I wanted so I was happy. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & English Literature.

Only now that I've left school and I had to go back for an awards evening a few days ago, my maths teacher came up to me and was like "Oh yeah we're not running further maths here any more."

So now I'm really panicked because I now have to choose another subject and all of the subjects have been timetabled already so that they don't clash but we aren't aware of it. But to be honest I don't really like the other subjects that my school offers, (just the basic stuff and some stuff like sociology, they're not even running Geography next year!) So even if I do find a subject that I like or can manage for a year or two, it might not even be available so I'm just honestly panicking and results day is in a little over a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Okay I assume this is the right thread to post on (considering it's about A levels, but I'm sorry if I'm wrong).

So basically I'm a year 11 student awaiting GCSE results day, and I applied to my school's 6th form in January and got accepted and they offered all of the courses that I wanted so I was happy. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & English Literature.

Only now that I've left school and I had to go back for an awards evening a few days ago, my maths teacher came up to me and was like "Oh yeah we're not running further maths here any more."

So now I'm really panicked because I now have to choose another subject and all of the subjects have been timetabled already so that they don't clash but we aren't aware of it. But to be honest I don't really like the other subjects that my school offers, (just the basic stuff and some stuff like sociology, they're not even running Geography next year!) So even if I do find a subject that I like or can manage for a year or two, it might not even be available so I'm just honestly panicking and results day is in a little over a month.
    Hey, why don't you take either a second science or History/Geography? That will keep your options wide open and medicine would be open to you.

What is it you would like to do after and what subjects would you consider doing for AS other than those you have taken? Seeing as you like maths - physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Hey, why don't you take either a second science or History/Geography? That will keep your options wide open and medicine would be open to you.

What is it you would like to do after and what subjects would you consider doing for AS other than those you have taken? Seeing as you like maths - physics?
    Geography isn't offered, I did Geography GCSE and you can't do History A Level without the GCSE,
    Yeah I do like maths, but funnily enough I honestly really dislike physics, and biology is pure hell to me. & I'm hoping to study Computer Science in University (ICT A Level isn't offered here either). So I'm really just stuck.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Geography isn't offered, I did Geography GCSE and you can't do History A Level without the GCSE,
    Yeah I do like maths, but funnily enough I honestly really dislike physics, and biology is pure hell to me. & I'm hoping to study Computer Science in University (ICT A Level isn't offered here either). So I'm really just stuck.:confused:
    So what do your school actually offer that you could do? & I would have thought physics would be very good for Computer Science but I don't know; I hate math and chemistry & physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    So what do your school actually offer that you could do? & I would have thought physics would be very good for Computer Science but I don't know; I hate math and chemistry & physics.
    My school offers:
    English Lit, Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, History, French, Dance, PE, Sociology, Psychology & Art.

So yeah, I'm screwed and because my school offered everything I wanted in January and it was still early and I already got accepted I didn't apply to any other 6th Forms or colleges (:facepalm:)

ReputationRep:
    You could always ask your head of sixth form to provide you with a list of subjects that are open to you and then choose from there. I would recommend physics tbh if you're wanting to do computer sciences, I didn't do it personally but I know some people that did and they say that it's pretty different from gcse and that they enjoyed it more. Plus it'll complement maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My school offers:
    English Lit, Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics, History, French, Dance, PE, Sociology, Psychology & Art.

So yeah, I'm screwed and because my school offered everything I wanted in January and it was still early and I already got accepted I didn't apply to any other 6th Forms or colleges (:facepalm:)
    I think it just means you're going to have to do something you don't like. I suggest Psychology, Sociology or a second Science. You are just going to have to get through and drop it at A2. I wish you all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread, it appears you have three options, maybe more if any of these inspire you to go down another, unsuggested route.
    First option: Choose something you don't like.
    Second option: Beg the school to let you study further maths in your own time. It'll be challenging, but if you're determined to do FM....
    Third option: Phone up another sixth form that does your options and see if they have any spaces left. You might just be in luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loperdoper)
    Reading this thread, it appears you have three options, maybe more if any of these inspire you to go down another, unsuggested route.
    First option: Choose something you don't like.
    Second option: Beg the school to let you study further maths in your own time. It'll be challenging, but if you're determined to do FM....
    Third option: Phone up another sixth form that does your options and see if they have any spaces left. You might just be in luck.
    Yeah, I was just thinking before I read this - you should call up another college or sixth and ask them if you can join late? They may be willing to offer you a place. This sort of thing does happen every year!

ReputationRep:
    just like the above 2 said, you should try calling up other sixth forms or colleges if they have your course, avoid changing options to something you won't like , it's going to make a levels a lot harder.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.