Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PCGE training possible without a Honours degree but with a Masters Degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    Bit unusual I know but as a mature student I managed to get onto a Masters Degree course without a prior 3 year Uni degree. Does anyone know of any scenarios where someone have could still get PCGE Teacher Training with just a Masters?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a masters degree meets the entry requirements to be able to do a PGCE. You can get a bursary depending on your degree too doing teacher training and a masters degree gets you the same bursary as a 2.1 honours degree, which is £4000. I reckon it may even make you stand out as its so competitive and masters is obviously more academic, but thats just my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjake09)
    Yes, a masters degree meets the entry requirements to be able to do a PGCE. You can get a bursary depending on your degree too doing teacher training and a masters degree gets you the same bursary as a 2.1 honours degree, which is £4000. I reckon it may even make you stand out as its so competitive and masters is obviously more academic, but thats just my opinion!
    thanks for the reply. I have made a couple of telephone calls to teacher training sites and they were both very certain I would need a Honours degree and that the Masters on its own isn't enough. Is there anything documented anywhere that states a Masters on its own is enough?

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Its obviously a little trickier for you as you dont have a degree. Go to page 12/13 theres abit about masters degrees. You definitely can do a PGCE with a masters degree but I guess most people with a masters degree would have a degree beforehand so thats the issue. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...13-14_V2.1.pdf There's always ways around it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjake09)
    No problem. Its obviously a little trickier for you as you dont have a degree. Go to page 12/13 theres abit about masters degrees. You definitely can do a PGCE with a masters degree but I guess most people with a masters degree would have a degree beforehand so thats the issue. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...13-14_V2.1.pdf There's always ways around it
    Thanks alot, that intially looks the ticket. The only thing about that document though, in reading the key bits a couple of times, is that it seems to be pointing specifically towards bursaries and entitlement levels (i.e. the higher the qualification level the higher the bursary). I'm not sure it states a Masters on is own meets PGCE training entry requirements, even though it by association implies it does. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Different unis have different requirements. You just have to research all of the places that do your course and maybe give them a call to see if they'll take you with the masters alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatagonad)
    Thanks alot, that intially looks the ticket. The only thing about that document though, in reading the key bits a couple of times, is that it seems to be pointing specifically towards bursaries and entitlement levels (i.e. the higher the qualification level the higher the bursary). I'm not sure it states a Masters on is own meets PGCE training entry requirements, even though it by association implies it does. What do you think?
    I think you should, if you havent already, is talk to an advisor on the DfE website, i did for myself and this is what they said - " Initial teacher training (ITT) providers tend to set their own requirements with regard to the degree grade they would prefer you to have received. It may be possible for you to apply for ITT courses with a non class degree - plus a Masters', but you will need to discuss this specifically with the ITT providers that you are considering applying to."

And your best bet is to just keep asking providers if they accept a masters. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.