The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Reasons NOT to go to Hull

Just thought I should warn other people about how awful the Uni is with dealing with any problems. Accommodation was Driffield House in Taylor Court-

-Came back to my room at 3am after working on my assignment to find a male student in there- his excuse was he was 'checking for hot water'- Rang security told me I was overreacting, and the University were totally anti me calling the police. House tutor was horrible and tried to blackmail me into not calling the police. They even suggested this behavior was 'part of Chinese culture' as the student was Chinese and it was normal for them to be wandering around late at night. When I told them I felt unsafe, they suggested that was my problem and I should consider moving from my room.

-I had to be moved rooms twice because pest control had to investigate and fumigate spiders nests. I was bitten several times.

spider bites.jpg

The first was a nest in my extractor fan in my bathroom with me having about 10 spiders in there a day. It took over a week for the Uni to get pest control in. The second was hundreds of tiny baby spiders all over the walls and ceiling. I left before pest control came in but it was at least 3 days.

-When we moved in the washing machine/dryer didn't work and despite over 15 complaints to accommodation it took 2 months to fix. It then broke a further 2 times throughout the year and each time took over a week to fix.

-Burst pipes flooded our corridor and we were left with a growing damp patch for over 2 weeks. Pipes in the ceiling burst over Christmas and flooded the corridor again.

-The drain in my bathroom was blocked which flooded my bathroom. I had to use someone elses shower for a week because Uni sent no one to fix it. I complained 3 times but each time I rang again 'they had no record of my complaint'.

-Place is infested with silverfish

-General stuff like oven not working, cupboard doors hanging off, no hot water, broken fridge, mold etc

-If you face the courtyard you will be woken up every night from the drunk people outside. If you're on the ground you will get people banging on your windows and screaming outside. When I rang to complain at 4am because of someone using a megaphone and shouting 'wake up Taylor Court' security told me to deal with it because it was socials night.

-When we moved in in September the place was filthy with rotting raw food that went off in June in the cupboards and fridge.

-Accommodation and admin office and useless. They lose records of complaints and lie about things they have said.

I have left after this year and transferred to a different university because of how awful my experience there has been. I'm sure some people have a great time there but I wish I knew what it was like before I went :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You also forgot to mention that if you go to the University of Hull, you have to live..in Hull. Its reason enough. But spiders nests? I would be gone from there :eek:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Haha, Hull was actually a really great place to live, I would have happily stayed living in the town. It was the Uni that made me leave :smile:
Reply 3
But did you bang though?
Original post by xxjordanxx
Haha, Hull was actually a really great place to live, I would have happily stayed living in the town. It was the Uni that made me leave :smile:

Fair enough. I just googled 'Silverfish' - good grief I wont be able to get to sleep now. Was it just this one accommodation in particular or are all the others like it?
Reply 5
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Fair enough. I just googled 'Silverfish' - good grief I wont be able to get to sleep now. Was it just this one accommodation in particular or are all the others like it?

I think the silverfish are pretty common in all the Taylor Court rooms tbh because of the damp. It definitely was all over our house, they got in the kitchen draws and cupboards. Oh and we had ants too. Are you living there next year?
Reply 6
You should post this to the 'University of Hull Offers holders' thread.
I lived in the Lawns and had no experiences like this.
When we had the really heavy thunderstorms on May bank holiday, my ceiling started leaking slightly and our warden came over to look at it within 5 minutes and I was offered another room until the ceiling was fixed as soon as they could (as it was the bank holiday weekend).
Just because you had bad experiences in one type of accommodation does not mean the whole university is bad.
Reply 8
I also stayed at the lawns this year, I agree with what Alotties said. Without trying to be rude xxjordanxx you're putting yourself across as one of life's victims with this thread.
This is really more of a problem with Taylor Courts or maybe even just that accommodation in general as opposed to the whole university. What you experience was terrible and it's probably a good thing to advise people staying in the same place so they don't have those problems.

HOWEVER the title of this thread suggest people shouldn't come to Hull at all. I stayed on the Lawns so knew lots of people there and in the other halls like Thwaite and Needler, as well as I read most things in the UoH section on here. I have not heard of anybody experiencing problems like this at any of those places and if this worries people, I would advise them to go to one of the other halls instead. (I've heard some good reviews of Taylor Courts too so not every place there is the same as this).

On top of this, this has gives no indication of the whole university, only maybe some of the university owned accommodation. This should not be used as the sole bases of what Hull is like.

I mean no disrespect and you have all the rights to post this, I only wish to point out to people reading the thread that this is not representative of the whole university or even all the accommodation there before they decide not to come to Hull from this alone.
(edited 9 years ago)
I stayed at the lawns in my first year and they were just fine...
Reply 11
I've heard Hull has lots of floods... so it can happen that after a night of heavy rainfall you wake up with a meter of water in your ground floor :X
As a resident of Lincoln House in Taylor Court, I'd like to say that my experience of living here over the past year has been the complete opposite. It sounds as though you've had a rough time of it, but your anecdotes shouldn't be sufficient for dismissing an entire university, the accommodation it offers and the service it provides. It sounds more like you have a chip on your shoulder than anything else, which is completely understandable given what happened to you, but let's not pretend that your resentment is commonly held by the students here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carteiro
I've heard Hull has lots of floods... so it can happen that after a night of heavy rainfall you wake up with a meter of water in your ground floor :X

It rained near constantly in Hull last winter, nobody got flooded.
reasons to go to hull:

i had a great 3 years there
Reply 15
I'm doing Knowledge Factory right now and we are all in The Lawns Morgan Hall. There are Silverfish EVERYWHERE.

If I find them when I move in I'm gonna keep giving accommodation office hell until they deal with it, especially if what you say is true and they spend ages before something gets done.
Original post by JC 042
I'm doing Knowledge Factory right now and we are all in The Lawns Morgan Hall. There are Silverfish EVERYWHERE.

If I find them when I move in I'm gonna keep giving accommodation office hell until they deal with it, especially if what you say is true and they spend ages before something gets done.

Yeah I'm there too, and some guy I know said he had them in his room.
Reply 17
Original post by David B
Yeah I'm there too, and some guy I know said he had them in his room.

I'm literally in my room now stamping on them, I just discovered them myself.

Googling all the ways I can kill them, when I come back I'm gonna have so much acid.

(For the bugs, not to get high, I don't do that lol)
Original post by JC 042
I'm literally in my room now stamping on them, I just discovered them myself.

Googling all the ways I can kill them, when I come back I'm gonna have so much acid.

(For the bugs, not to get high, I don't do that lol)

Haha, I just had a quick look round and I don't see any, thank god haha. So how's your project going? Is your team aiming for 1st or 2nd prize?
Reply 19
Original post by David B
Haha, I just had a quick look round and I don't see any, thank god haha. So how's your project going? Is your team aiming for 1st or 2nd prize?

I personally would love to go abroad, especially to Shanghai. I think everyone else though would rather have the tablets/phones.

One of the ways to kill Silverfish is to leave out a damp newspaper over night then set it on fire afterwards... The Team Fortress 2 pyro in me is so tempted :P

Quick Reply

Latest