Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you talk about when you meet new people? watch

ReputationRep:
    I can make small take with someone I've just met but I'm rubbish at talking to people who are in between the stages of strangers and friends:rolleyes: I'm going to be meeting loads of new people when college starts and it's making me nervous as it's huge and none of my close friends are going.

So what do you talk about when you see someone you don't know very well?

ReputationRep:
    I just talk about whatever I would talk about with friends. A lot of people feel the same way as you do and they're not sure what to say either, so you breaking the awkwardness and bringing something up probably makes them feel more comfortable too.

Get the obvious things out of the way first - names, what classes they do, where they're from, etc. There's nothing more awkward than having a huge conversation and realising you don't know their name. Is there anything you like about their appearance? Tell them. A sincere compliment is always nice. Are they doing any classes you're not doing? Ask them about them.

There's no real rules on what you can discuss (though creepy/explicit/gross things should probably be avoided with people you don't really know). I'd say the only thing to really do is to make sure it's an equal conversation. Don't make it all about you, but don't try and interrogate them either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBookThief)
    I just talk about whatever I would talk about with friends. A lot of people feel the same way as you do and they're not sure what to say either, so you breaking the awkwardness and bringing something up probably makes them feel more comfortable too.

Get the obvious things out of the way first - names, what classes they do, where they're from, etc. There's nothing more awkward than having a huge conversation and realising you don't know their name. Is there anything you like about their appearance? Tell them. A sincere compliment is always nice. Are they doing any classes you're not doing? Ask them about them.

There's no real rules on what you can discuss (though creepy/explicit/gross things should probably be avoided with people you don't really know). I'd say the only thing to really do is to make sure it's an equal conversation. Don't make it all about you, but don't try and interrogate them either.
    I don't think I'd make a good impression if I acted like I do with my friends, haha

But thanks for replying and I'll keep all this in mind!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It depends on the circumstance. I try to make most conversations work even though I sometimes talk about completely random stuff :rolleyes:
    E.g. if we've both witnessed something I might say something (or vice versa) and a conversation can develop from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    It depends on the circumstance. I try to make most conversations work even though I sometimes talk about completely random stuff :rolleyes:
    E.g. if we've both witnessed something I might say something (or vice versa) and a conversation can develop from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. No one shows any interest in me, I've never succeeded in coming up with an interesting conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I had a Summercamp last month, so to most of my new friends there I start asking what's your name, from what church are you, what school are you currently studying at, and how's the school... (Are the subjects hard, stuffs like that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDaylighter)
    I can make small take with someone I've just met but I'm rubbish at talking to people who are in between the stages of strangers and friends:rolleyes: I'm going to be meeting loads of new people when college starts and it's making me nervous as it's huge and none of my close friends are going.

So what do you talk about when you see someone you don't know very well?
    Yeah I start off making small talk and then just like try and find something that we both have in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    I have no idea. No one shows any interest in me, I've never succeeded in coming up with an interesting conversation.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's funny. sorry, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's funny. sorry, no offence.
    At least someone managed to find amusement in my suffering.

ReputationRep:
    At least someone managed to find amusement in my suffering.
    I'm sorry. It sounds funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    Yeah I start off making small talk and then just like try and find something that we both have in common.
    What do you do when you don't find anything that you have in common or you exhaust everythibg you do?

ReputationRep:
    Don't pre-plan a conversation. Just go with it, make relevant comments, and relax. You never know when you might meet the partner of your dreams or the person who will be your best friend for the rest of your life.

Just hold back on the potentially embarrassing stuff, unless they go there first. Engaging others is about reciprocation, don't be afraid to be different though. There is nothing worse than people who fake, likes and dislikes, just to please/(fit in with) others.

ReputationRep:
    This **** is so easy with guys

- Girls
    - Football
    - Subject Choice etc
    - Girls
    - LAD

I'd imagine girls would just talk about the female counter parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDaylighter)
    What do you do when you don't find anything that you have in common or you exhaust everythibg you do?
    Just talk about anything you can like oh what subjects are you doing and your opinions on the teacher and blah blah. Being a college, you'll definitely find something to talk about. Even if it's about what you're wearing or maybe talk about first day nerves or something.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for replying, I'm probably just overthinking this, I'm sure I'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Gossh I feel the same way! I feel as though every time I open my mouth, no one really wants to hear what I have to say!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.