Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are 'vacancies' on some courses but what is the likelihood of getting on one this late in the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hsjsims)
    There are 'vacancies' on some courses but what is the likelihood of getting on one this late in the year?
    We are still accepting applications for primary teacher training for September 2014 at Birmingham Primary Training Partnership (part of ninestiles teaching school alliance). This is the first time in twelve years that we look as if we will be unable to fill all our primary places. Many other providers I have spoken to are experiencing the same problems in both primary and secondary routes (especially shortage subjects). As each trainee brings fees with them many providers will be very keen to keep recruitment open for as long as possible. I would urge you to keep applying. However, it would be worth checking with the provider first to make sure the are not on holiday, if so your precious application could simply languish for 40 days with nobody paying it any attention!. One complication with the new UCAS single application system is that it is not always easy to distinguish between places offered by providers (such as SCITTs or Universities) and school direct places. School direct places are likely to be administered by school staff ( although not all- some may be handled by the accredited training provider the school is in partnership with). Now the holidays are upon us many applications made directly to schools could potentially just get stuck in the system. Schools are not held accountable for whether or not they fill their school direct training places. (This route has been aggressively marketed by the DfE and NCTL as government policy). SCITTs and Universities on the other hand need to fill places, not least of all because they rely on the income from fees to keep courses running. I expect many, many potentially wonderful future teachers are stuck in the system chasing school direct places advertised on UCAS with applications that nobody looks at- after 40 days they just get automatically rejected on the UCAS system. I really do hope I am wrong because the wastage if this is the case is simply appalling. I suggest anyone stuck in the application system makes sure the place/ institution they applied to is actively recruiting over the summer- if not I expect you will find plenty of other local providers who will be delighted to receive an application..
    As we get closer to September providers will need to know you will be ready to start the course at short notice so make sure you have passed your skills tests and have references.

Good luck-

ReputationRep:
    It took me 12 days from sending my application to receiving an offer.

I sent my application around the 2nd July for a PGCE Computing and ICT course. On the 8th July I received an invitation to attend an interview. I had the interview on the 11th July, and received an offer on the 14th July.

Yes it's a little rushed, especially with QTS Tests, DBS/CRB checks, health check/questionnaires, pre-course tasks etc, but it can be done.

Good luck, and remember to contact the university/school you're hoping to apply for before submitting your application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.