Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3634085.stm

In defence of being accused of 'Institutional Racism', the Met are planning to instutute an official 'Institutional Racism' policy.

What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    the police are racist, sexist ............ basically they think most people are beneath them. Ever tried calling them out when you really need them?

I'd had my front windows smashed and the person who did it phoned to say they were on their way round to do the back windows and then have a go at me.

I dialled 999 and they asked if it was 'domestic'. I said no, they decided it was anyway and phoned back 2 hours later to see if I still wanted them to attend!

ReputationRep:
    Something does need to be done about the public perception of the police because they can't do their job with out public support and they don't have that. People need to trust them but I don't know how it can be done.

ReputationRep:
    Institutional racism is I feel an unfair term. I always associate this with actually having a policy of racism which the police don't have.

However, it is fair to say that the police force has long been an organization made up predominately of white working class males and many of these folks are racist, sexist, and homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that there is currently an element 'Institutional Rascism' (whether that is the best word for describing it) in the Police force, as there is currently an element of Racism in society as a whole.

The plans outlined here though would absolutely confirm the acusation.

Your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom)
    I agree that there is currently an element 'Institutional Rascism' (whether that is the best word for describing it) in the Police force, as there is currently an element of Racism in society as a whole.

The plans outlined here though would absolutely confirm the acusation.

Your thoughts?

I would suggest that is there are a minority of police who are racist, then those who are not would be strongly 'encouraged' to turn a blind eye to incidents of racism particularly if it was their superior officers who were racist.

ReputationRep:
    [He continued: "We want to explore if we can recruit not just on merit but also on ethnicity."]

This reminds me of the Protestants/Catholic problems in the RUC [God knows what they are known as now] a while back. The input was strictkly to be 50:50 mix of the 2 religions. However since more protetants apply to be policemen than Catholics, many have had to be denied due to thier religion. However this was against the agreement set out whereby no person could be discriminated against on thr grounds of their ethnicity, whethter they br positive discrimination or negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    [He continued: "We want to explore if we can recruit not just on merit but also on ethnicity."]

This reminds me of the Protestants/Catholic problems in the RUC [God knows what they are known as now] a while back. The input was strictkly to be 50:50 mix of the 2 religions. However since more protetants apply to be policemen than Catholics, many have had to be denied due to thier religion. However this was against the agreement set out whereby no person could be discriminated against on thr grounds of their ethnicity, whethter they br positive discrimination or negative.
    The reason why Catholics did not apply to the NI Police Force is because they are institutionally bigoted and would not permit Catholics anyway. Now there is a quota (I assume you know that there is) the Police Force will have to go a long, long way to gain the trust of the Catholic population and that ain't gonna happen for a long, long time.

This mistrust is unarguably the reason why you don't get many blacks applying to enter the British police force.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.