Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    You take a good book that has been turned into a pants film... But which is the BEST book made into the WORST film?

If you had a good book in your left hand, and the bad film version in the right, which combo would result in the most outstretched arms?!!

Suggestions so far...

• The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman >>> The Golden Compass
    • City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
    • The Lovely Bones
    • Percy Jackson
    • The Host by Stephanie Mayer
    • Eragon
    • My Sister's Keeper
    • The da Vinci Code
    • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows and the 8th film..
    • Watchmen
    • The Hobbit
    • One Day
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The Northen Lights by Phillip Pullman. A Brilliant book.

Turned into the overly -simplified piece of crap that was the film "the golden compass".

ReputationRep:
    City of Bones by Cassandra Clare was an amazing book , the film not so much.

ReputationRep:
    The Northern Lights by Pullman --> The Golden Compass.

Disappointing.

&

The Lovely Bones was an epic book but the film was mediocre.

Percy Jackson series, I didn't read the book but the movie was just...:no:

ReputationRep:
      I thought Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters was a good book but the film was mediocre at best

but at least Logan Lerman is hot :drool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Motorbiker)
      The Northen Lights by Phillip Pullman. A Brilliant book.

Turned into the overly -simplified piece of crap that was the film "the golden compass".
      This.

I bawled my eyes out when I realised they weren't going to make the Subtle Knife. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
      The Host by Stephanie Mayer. Nearly cried at how bad the movie was (far worse then twilight :bawling:)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by StrangeBanana)
      This.

I bawled my eyes out when I realised they weren't going to make the Subtle Knife. :bawling:

It'll be alright....

Hopefully they revisit it in like 10 years time and remake the whole trilogy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Motorbiker)
      It'll be alright....

Hopefully they revisit it in like 10 years time and remake the whole trilogy.
      Hopefully!
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Eragon good book but a terrible film. :no:

ReputationRep:
      My Sister's Keeper - I can't even deal with how awful that film was.

Ditto the Golden Compass too.

ReputationRep:
      The da Vinci code.

ReputationRep:
      HP & deathly hallows and the 8th film. A disaster of epic proportions. The whole "all slytherins are evil" scene in the great hall was awful. And don't even get me started on the boathouse- its existence in itself was a crime- but then the whole "you have your mother's eyes" thing with Snape dying while he stares into Radcliff's blue eyes followed by them cutting to the flashback to show a girl with brown eyes, when their eyes were meant to be green!!
      Rant over. Sorry.
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      Percy Jackson
      *cries* It was really bad and inaccurate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Agreed. Could have been a great franchise.

ReputationRep:
      You know, the Princess diaries were the opposite. The books were tedious, while the movies were good thanks to Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by vee_wuvshugs)
      The Host by Stephanie Mayer. Nearly cried at how bad the movie was (far worse then twilight :bawling:)
      You will enjoy this then

(Original post by Pirateprincess)
      HP & deathly hallows and the 8th film. A disaster of epic proportions. The whole "all slytherins are evil" scene in the great hall was awful. And don't even get me started on the boathouse- its existence in itself was a crime- but then the whole "you have your mother's eyes" thing with Snape dying while he stares into Radcliff's blue eyes followed by them cutting to the flashback to show a girl with brown eyes, when their eyes were meant to be green!!
      Rant over. Sorry.
      Pfft the 8th film was fine stop nitpicking you should be ranting about the 6th book. They missed out so much for the sake of bloody relationships :mad:

ReputationRep:
      Watchmen was a beautifully written and drawn graphic novel. The film however was a pile of steaming dog ****.

ReputationRep:
      The City of Ember is a good shout! A decent book for young people with a horrible film to match.

The Hobbit's film adaptions have been a little errm... poetic to say the least. For crying out loud the primary antagonist isn't even in the book, bar a sentence. Radagast's portrayal was abysmal as well, as a respected wizard was turned into a stoner with giant rabbits.

Of course the big prize goes to 'The Golden Compass'.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.