Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GDL in Bristol. Which institution is the cream of the crop? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a mature student who has just graduated from a Scottish LLB. However, I am now moving to Bristol, which means my Scottish LLB is good for toilet paper. (Only kidding). I may hesitantly have to complete the GDL, but I'm waiting to hear back from an institution. Until then, I'd like to know which institution in Bristol do employers prefer your GDL to come from: UoL, BPP, or UWE? And if you have completed the GDL at any of these institutions, how did you find it?

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThemisGG)
    I'd like to know which institution in Bristol do employers prefer your GDL to come from: UoL, BPP, or UWE? And if you have completed the GDL at any of these institutions, how did you find it?

Thanks.
    The GDL at UWE was a bit shambolic administratively (but it was moving offices when I was there, and the staff knew it had problems, so it may well have improved), but outstanding on the teaching side, really very good indeed. I'd recommend it without hesitation. The workload is pretty intense on the GDL but the resources and in particular staff support at UWE is very committed to getting students through the course.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there some sort of conversion exam for Scottish-qualified lawyers? I wouldn't have thought you would have to do the whole GDL...

The QLTS, that's what I was thinking of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holland91)
    Isn't there some sort of conversion exam for Scottish-qualified lawyers? I wouldn't have thought you would have to do the whole GDL...
    http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/qlts.page - this is what I was thinking of, but I guess you want to qualify in England first instead? I have a friend who did the GDL at UWE and found it good.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want to after the course, but the below, copied from the Slaughter & May website might be helpful:

"To train as a solicitor in England and Wales, students who have completed their undergraduate law degree at a Scottish university are required by the SRA to complete certain modules from the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) course before beginning the Legal Practice Course (LPC). You are therefore considered to be non-law students for our application purposes. As the content of Scottish law degrees varies, the SRA reviews each case individually to reach a decision regarding which GDL modules need to be completed. Usually, at least two modules, Land and Equity & Trusts, need to be taken. However, in some cases, students are also required to study the Tort and Criminal Law modules. Although students normally have to study for these extra modules over a full academic year, it is possible, and common, to opt for distance/online learning. Studying for these extra modules is equivalent to completing a part-time course, so most students also work during this year. BPP Law School offers a distance learning option for the GDL modules. All tutorials and seminars are recorded and posted online."

I'm going to BPP, but I don't think there's much difference between UoL and BPP and I would have been happy with either. Equal numbers of law firms seem to send their future trainees to each.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.