Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M269 - Motion on the Downing of MH17, TSR Conservative and Unionist PartyThis house is alarmed by the news of the deaths of up to nine British civilians in the downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17, purportedly by Surface to Air weaponry in the region of Donetsk. Furthermore, this house calls for both the Ukrainian Government and the Rebels to cease-fire to allow all facts to be established and to prevent further loss of civilian lives, whilst also condemning in the strongest possible terms the use of military equipment to bring down a civilian aircraft. We urge our intelligence agencies to provide any information that can help establish what caused this tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, we need a proper, full investigation carried out without any further interference in the disaster site!

ReputationRep:
    Aye. We need an immediate investigation whilst trying to avoid rhetoric and jumping to conclusions/scapegoating.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. Of course I support an investigation and an appalled by this mass murder etc.. but the motion doesn't really call for anything and doesn't provide a ground for clear and reasonable debate.

On a different note, I have taken that exact flight many times and have flown the same route many times so it's hit home rather hard. The thought of having wonderful conversations with a flight crew who may have been recently murdered is sickening.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    We should be alarmed by all of the casualties, not the 9 British casualties in particular.

ReputationRep:
    We should also be concerned about escalating the situation and reversing gains made in terms of Russian-British relations over the last few decades.

We need to analyse the root social and political causes of pro-Russian separatism in Ukraine, rather than intensify our rhetoric toward Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    Rebels being a politically correct euphemism for 'Russians', presumably. The Ukranians may have caused this, we don't know. All we know is that it is the Russians are blocking investigators from getting close to the scene, which arouses suspicion as to whom the instigators are.

"Whilst also condemning in the strongest possible terms the use of military equipment to bring down a civilian aircraft" - I wish to associate myself with the remarks, as I'm sure the vast majority, if not all members of the House wish to do.

"We urge our intelligence agencies to provide any information that can help establish what caused this tragedy" - to who? The Press? The North Koreans? Ol' Joe Bloggs down the road? WHO? The statement probably does refer to the investigatory bodies, but this MUST be included! In its current state, it is FAR too ambiguous to be agreed!

ReputationRep:
    The saddest thing about the whole situation is the fact the perpetrators will not be brought to justice. The international world is 'outraged' but all the tough talking remarks about "taking the lead in an investigation" or "bringing those responsible to face justice" will soon be swept away into yesterday's news. The situation in Ukraine will blow over and the world will move on forgetting about the victims, and the people responsible.

Even if there was proof revealing the separatists were responsible or the Ukrainians were responsible, what will the international community do? - Nothing! There may be a few moans and a sanction or two at best.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, responsibility needs to be attributed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

I hope to see a second motion on this matter that sets out clearer objectives for us as a country when it comes to addressing this conflict.

I was greatly saddened upon reading about this in the papers.
    My condolences go to the families of the deceased.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. This attack was a disturbing escalation of the situation in Ukraine. Personally, I would be happy to see UN peacekeepers go in and enforce a ceasefire.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

I have been increasingly appalled by the behaviour of pro-Russian militants - looting possessions, obstructing observers and now apparently loading bodies onto trucks and dumping them at unknown locations.

This behaviour is a disgrace, offensive to families and contravening international law. UN forces need to swiftly secure the scene and eliminate anyone who stands in their way.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    This is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This has been withdrawn.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.