Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am reviewing differential equations, and i wonder if you guys can clarify a point for me.

In my book, for linear 2nd order o.d.e`s with constant coefficients, where the ode is:

L(x)=\phi and \phi is the forcing function, and the solution to the associated homogeneous equation is:

y_{h}=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{t}+c_{3}te^{  t}

a couple of questions say: "determine the particular solution..."

1) \phi = t book gives particular solution as:

t*(at+b) but had previously said that:

"if any term of the assumed solution - disregarding multiplicative constants - is also a term of the homogeneous solution, then the assumed solution must be modified...."

i know that - but if you assume a soltion of the form at+b the

b is a multiplicative constant - so the assumed solution should be correct, no? and why not?

another one is where they have the forcing term as:

2t^{2}-3t+82, y_{p}= t*(at^2+bt+c)

in that case, is the thing about the multiplicative constant incorrect and they should not have said it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasufel)
    i am reviewing differential equations, and i wonder if you guys can clarify a point for me.

In my book, for linear 2nd order o.d.e`s with constant coefficients, where the ode is:

L(x)=\phi and \phi is the forcing function, and the solution to the associated homogeneous equation is:

y_{h}=c_{1}+c_{2}e^{t}+c_{3}te^{  t}

a couple of questions say: "determine the particular solution..."

1) \phi = t book gives particular solution as:

t*(at+b) but had previously said that:

"if any term of the assumed solution - disregarding multiplicative constants - is also a term of the homogeneous solution, then the assumed solution must be modified...."

b is a multiplicative constant - so the assumed solution should be correct, no? and why not?

another one is where they have the forcing term as:

2t^{2}-3t+82, y_{p}= t*(at^2+bt+c)

in that case, is the thing about the multiplicative constant incorrect and they should not have said it?
    Isn't your particular solution at^2+bt and there is no t or t^2 term in the homogeneous solution so it's fine?

Apologies if I misunderstood something you have said. The language of this is a distant memory for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasufel)

When it says disregarding multiplicative constants, it means that if f(t) is a term of the assumed solution, and A f(t) is a term of the homogeneous solution (where A is constant), then the two solutions do share a term - the multiplicative constant 'A' is not enough to say the solutions are different.

So in this case, the homogeneous solution has the term c_1 and the assumed solution the term b, and they clearly differ only by a multiplicative constant (e.g. take A = c1/b), so the assumed solution does need modification.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that you effectively have f(t) = 1 here. So you have a term c_1 f(t) which gets written as just c_1 and then it's easy to think "disregarding c_1 removes the term completely", which isn't what is actually meant.

So I don't think they've said anything incorrect. What you've written isn't all that clear but to be honest I'm not sure how much is their fault and how much the editing you've done to post it here in a reasonably concise fashion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.