CPT4 - how did it go? Watch

This discussion is closed.
fArhAnA
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok, so this was my final exam, i wasnt concentrating the hardest this whole weekend and neither in the exam.

But i could not do the paper, so im wondering is it due to my lack of knowledge or was is actually hard? but comparing to CPT4 June 02 id say it was harder, no? (but i dont know about the jan 03 paper never saw it).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi, i took CPT5 today, but all my friends who did CPT4 again thought it was a lot harder than the Jan exam.
fArhAnA
hmmm!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Aghhh...

whats that stuff about stacks and reversing a queue, that wasn't on the syllabus, did u feel wot u revised didn't come up? And wot did u put for that hex direct addressing questions?

oh my god, richard im gonna faint......
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i think it wanted you to talk about putting the data from the queue into a stack. Then when you put it back into the queue the data is in reverse order because a stack is a "LIFO" data structure. Thats wot i wrote anywayz?
fArhAnA
yea actually!

although i didnt revise as well as i could, i did know all the stuff inside out before, n boy none it came up.

yea i was confused about that question. is it just or are the questions sometimes unclear?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
A queue is an Array consisting pointers to locate the front and the back of the queue.... it is similar to a stack table...
B J H
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
My thoughts on the paper,

The lack of a procedure question really annoyed me - these are questions I find easy, and a trace table along with a recursive procedure for the Tail(list) question would have been prefferable to some of the other questions.

I thought it was uch harder than Jan 02, Jun 02, and Jan 03. However, it wasn't as hard as the specimin paper imo

The question about the CPU and addressing modes (where you had to substitute operators and operands with hex numbers) was quite complicated and took my ages - I would have preffered a question giving a high-level algorythm and asking for the assembler instructions which relate to it (as in the specimin paper).

Overall, I thought this paper was quite nasty. I know what an interupt is (indeed, I have learnt the definition given in the mark scheme off by heart), but what on earth is vector interupt all about? We'd never done that in class, and I couldn't find anything on it in Heathcotes.

Question 1, about the queue was quite hard - woudln't it have been better to provide a procedure which did this, and ask is what the procedure did to demonstrate this understanding?

What did everyone else think ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Two words. Very difficult. And I've been getting 80%+ on most of the tests i've done during the year.

I didn't get the whole bit about the 6 bit operating code???

Unit 5 was much easier though, except for that network bit (q9)
HIFH fam
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
aww come on cheer up, im sure everyone found it hardish and the mark scheme will be lower....i must admit i f00ked up the mantisa question
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (38)
14.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (37)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
20.85%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (98)
37.84%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (14)
5.41%
No particular grades needed (18)
6.95%