Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it bad to go to an instructor who doesn't know your area?????????? help Watch

ReputationRep:
    sdf

ReputationRep:
    HELP

ReputationRep:
    PLS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedhelppp)
    I booked an instructor who said he doesn't know my area but he sounded so confident on the phone and said he didn't mind coming to my area (40 mins away from him) and I'm a complete beginner and he was the cheapest I could find so I just said ok.
    People have been telling me it;s bad because he doesn't know about the test centre in my area but surely it's his fault because he should have said no to me????? I have my first lesson this weekend and I'm scared now (((9
    Has anyone else had this experience and is it really bad or will it be ok

Do an internet search and look for a level six instructor - pm me if you have a problem

ReputationRep:
    An instructor worth his salt should be teaching you correctly to drive anywhere. It doesn't matter whether it's your area or his. What you learn in one area, should apply to another, as long as he teaches judgement so you can figure out what to do in slightly less usual situations.

That said, there should be variety in your lessons, so the over-using of the same old area time and time again and again should be avoided. Complacency kicks in unless you learn to adapt to changing landscapes and can "sight-read" a road.

There is nothing wrong with visiting the general area where you will be taking your test. Once or twice, that is. You should not be rigorously learning test routes, nor should you be practising manoeuvres in exactly the same spots that the examiners use. That really pisses off local residents, not to mention the examiners who are restricted in the locations they can use. You (and your instructor) have the whole region to practise, so please don't get in the way of live tests. It shouldn't matter that you're not reversing around the "exact" corner of your test, as long as you can cope with a variety of different types and scenarios.

Once thing that concerns me from your original post is that one reason you chose your instructor is because he was "the cheapest". How do you know you will be getting quality instruction? He may be great, but if your lesson time is being taken up travelling for miles to and from his favourite area, you may not be getting value for money, especially if the route there and back is the same old, same old each time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.