Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Full name when applying for university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Quick question about full names on university applications.

So my parents (bless 'em) gave me three names: Name1 Name2 Name3 + my surname - which are in that order on my legal documents. However my third name (Name3) is the name that I am called by by my mum/dad and everyone else.

When I signed up for my undergraduate degree I registered all three names and as you can imagine there was some confusion with my name - when I put just the name I'm called (Name3) on my assignments, or when tutors tried to find me on a register, etc. because often times on the class register and email the system would just put the first name and surname (Name1 + my surname).

So I am registering for postgraduate study now and I want to get opinions/experience on whether or not to put all of my names on the registry which would match the names on my degree certificate for my undergraduate degree or put the name I'm called (Name3) and my surname.

Would it be bad if my undergrad/postgrad certificate names didn't match?

Just to clarify, it would be:
    Undergrad certificate - Name1 Name2 Name3 + my surname
    Postgrad certificate - Name3 + my surname

Thanks for your help in advance!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.