Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure If I should live in student hall...international mature student Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 26 female international student starting my postgraduate course at Leeds next September and I wanted to know your experience / opinion of wheter I should live in halls or not. I have received an offer from the University Accomodation confirming a place in a postgraduate-only residence that seems quite good, close to the uni, full with mature people etc. ; however considering that:

-I'm not a very sociable person. That is: I can spend a night with friends but drink just a little and enjoy more things like going out to new places, photography, enjoying a good dinner rather than heavy drinking or partying/clubbing every night.

-I'm very concerned about tidiness, and considering I share a kitchen I expect to use the common space sensibly and living tidy everything that I use.

-I do enjoy talking but I am a more introverted and quiet person.

I'm attracted to the idea of sharing kitchen / living room are but I have also read horror stories about people being nasty/ noisy, etc. On the other hand, I would like to be alone but it scares me a little not having the opportunity to socialize outside the university and being alone in a foreign country.

Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the room the Uni is offering me is an en-suite, so no fight for the bathroom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cell88)
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 26 female international student starting my postgraduate course at Leeds next September and I wanted to know your experience / opinion of wheter I should live in halls or not. I have received an offer from the University Accomodation confirming a place in a postgraduate-only residence that seems quite good, close to the uni, full with mature people etc. ; however considering that:

-I'm not a very sociable person. That is: I can spend a night with friends but drink just a little and enjoy more things like going out to new places, photography, enjoying a good dinner rather than heavy drinking or partying/clubbing every night.

-I'm very concerned about tidiness, and considering I share a kitchen I expect to use the common space sensibly and living tidy everything that I use.

-I do enjoy talking but I am a more introverted and quiet person.

I'm attracted to the idea of sharing kitchen / living room are but I have also read horror stories about people being nasty/ noisy, etc. On the other hand, I would like to be alone but it scares me a little not having the opportunity to socialize outside the university and being alone in a foreign country.

Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the room the Uni is offering me is an en-suite, so no fight for the bathroom
    Well as this was asked a year ago, i'd like to know how it went since i'm in the same situation now .

Only difference is i'm an under-grad, not a post-grad

ReputationRep:
    As a bit of a simplification post-grads tend to be less into partying and late nights than undergrads, so I would suggest a postgrad-only residence would be absolutely fine for people who may be a little less outgoing than others. Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jSchmidt21)
    Well as this was asked a year ago, i'd like to know how it went since i'm in the same situation now
    Horses for courses, I guess. I chose to find off-campus accommodation, and in the end I found somewhere 10-15 minutes walk away. Even though that's hardly a long commute, it can be a pain going to and from home and the campus sometimes, particularly if I'm going in twice on the same day (I usually prefer to do my independent study at home, so tend to come home in between appointments). Just from casual observations as I walk past some halls at my uni, some of them do look to be nicely appointed, perhaps more so than where I'm living!

However, I'd look very carefully at what facilities, among other things, are on offer in uni accommodation open to you. A fellow mature student friend of mine is living in halls, but hearing about the logistical nightmare of his clothes washing experiences has confirmed to me I'm better off at a private home. He has to schlep all his clothes over to the campus launderette to use the washers and dryers and it costs him something like £5 per time. Sorting out washing and drying of clothes is always a pain and a distraction when you're trying to study, but at least for me all I have to do is nip downstairs and stick my clothes in the washing machine and come back and hang them out or set the dryer on when the cycle is done.

Might seem like I'm belabouring a trivial point, but if you have to basically sit in the launderette for 2 hours each time you need to do a batch of washing and drying of clothes/sheets, how will that disrupt your studies? So, do find out about things like that an consider if that's manageable for you before you commit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    Horses for courses, I guess. I chose to find off-campus accommodation, and in the end I found somewhere 10-15 minutes walk away. Even though that's hardly a long commute, it can be a pain going to and from home and the campus sometimes, particularly if I'm going in twice on the same day (I usually prefer to do my independent study at home, so tend to come home in between appointments). Just from casual observations as I walk past some halls at my uni, some of them do look to be nicely appointed, perhaps more so than where I'm living!

However, I'd look very carefully at what facilities, among other things, are on offer in uni accommodation open to you. A fellow mature student friend of mine is living in halls, but hearing about the logistical nightmare of his clothes washing experiences has confirmed to me I'm better off at a private home. He has to schlep all his clothes over to the campus launderette to use the washers and dryers and it costs him something like £5 per time. Sorting out washing and drying of clothes is always a pain and a distraction when you're trying to study, but at least for me all I have to do is nip downstairs and stick my clothes in the washing machine and come back and hang them out or set the dryer on when the cycle is done.

Might seem like I'm belabouring a trivial point, but if you have to basically sit in the launderette for 2 hours each time you need to do a batch of washing and drying of clothes/sheets, how will that disrupt your studies? So, do find out about things like that an consider if that's manageable for you before you commit.

Thank you! that was helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jSchmidt21)
    Thank you! that was helpful
    Equally just because people are postgrads doesn't mean they will automatically be any cleaner than undergrads if that is something that bothers you.

ReputationRep:
    I personally did not live in halls when I started my course. I had already been working for several years before deciding to go back to school and didn't want to live with students younger than myself. My experience was fantastic and I met some great people via societies and my course. Point being that if you decide not to live in halls will not prevent you from meeting people and getting the most out of university. A lot of your experience will depend on what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    I personally did not live in halls when I started my course. I had already been working for several years before deciding to go back to school and didn't want to live with students younger than myself. My experience was fantastic and I met some great people via societies and my course. Point being that if you decide not to live in halls will not prevent you from meeting people and getting the most out of university. A lot of your experience will depend on what you make of it.
    Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.