The Student Room Group

Law or Law with German degree?

I have just finished my first year of sixth form so I am obviously thinking about my future plans - I am absolutely set on Law and have been for almost a year now - I have carried out work experience, been on lots of courses and done plenty of legal reading. However, I have a bit of a problem - I am really stuck between studying Law (LLB) or Law with German as a degree option. I really enjoy German and I am planning on studying it at A2 (AS grades dependent), however, I am unsure as to whether it would be a better choice of degree than doing a straight Law degree. I have carried out work experience in solicitors firm in Germany and I approached the situation fairly well. My main concern is just that my German won't be good/fluent enough for degree level - will it be really difficult? Is it all taught in German?

I am completely tore between both degrees so any helpful advice would be much appreciated - thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
With law, you really don't want to be offering less time spent studying than people competing for the same jobs and internships. So I would advise going for a straight law degree - you'll be able to take more modules in law and therefore will be a better candidate. You could still continue to study German in your spare time, or at some universities even as an unusual option under your straight law degree (for example, Warwick offer language modules as part of a degree).

The exception is if you plan on working in Germany as a lawyer, in which case Law with German would be the sensible decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending