Captain America will be black..........

Watch
StevieA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-unveils...204927447.html

First the She-Thor and now this? What's this world coming to? I am sitting here smoking my cigar and drinking my Dom with a combined value that would double a small african country's GDP but I can't help feeling like everything is crashing down around me. Will I be able to sleep tonight knowing that tomorrow I could wake up to a world where my straight, white, male privilege is just another lost chapter in the annals of history?

Please respond. Please stay safe.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what's next, transgendered spider man? gay super man? chinese bat man?
I mean, I'm all for equality, but for the love of christ...
themanwithaplanb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it is cultural genocide
imtelling
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cultural appropriation.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have to say, this makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Thor change. There's been several different characters taking the role of Captain America so this isn't exactly new.

Thor being a woman? This makes no sense. Thor is a character, not a costume, and it also a historically Germanic god from real life culture. This is like saying Jesus is now a women, in a sense.

Again, if they want black and female superheroes, why not create new ones instead of adapting existing ones? It looks incredibly ******ed.

This is, by the way, in one of Marvel's Ultimate Universe so not their main series.
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm so confused. Are all these changes being put in the films or the comics?
TheTranshumanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EllieC130)
I'm so confused. Are all these changes being put in the films or the comics?
Just the comics.
drewBusby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
YAYYYYYYYYYYY nikka we made it

edit: mods note i know a girl called nikka

Fanticipation
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a DIFFERENT UNIVERSE.

Don't read it if you don't like it. I find it intriguing, and will be reading and enjoying it.
Fanticipation
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
I have to say, this makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Thor change. There's been several different characters taking the role of Captain America so this isn't exactly new.

Thor being a woman? This makes no sense. Thor is a character, not a costume, and it also a historically Germanic god from real life culture. This is like saying Jesus is now a women, in a sense.

Again, if they want black and female superheroes, why not create new ones instead of adapting existing ones? It looks incredibly ******ed.

This is, by the way, in one of Marvel's Ultimate Universe so not their main series.
There was a female Thor comic published several years ago.

Marvel's Thor is not a replica of Norse mythology. Yes it shares influences and theories, but it is not the same.

To answer your last question: a new female character would receive minimal (if any) acknowledgement. The character would have to be heavily sexual/objectified in order to gain any popularity from what seems to be still a patriarchal fan base. Thus, Thor is a perfect opportunity.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There were plenty of other people who became captain america, this guy wasn't even the first black man who became captain america. Too many casuals...
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So Captain America is black and Thor is a woman? It's like there are no white male superheroes left except for all the other ones. How dare Marvel suggest heroism isn't a specifically white-male trait!? :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (394)
56.61%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.39%

Watched Threads