Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I get misdiagnosed with asthma? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically a few weeks ago I drank loads of lucozade for a week and at the end I was wheezing etc so went to the doctor and he said I may have asthma and prescribed me with an inhaler etc
    No one in my family has it and how can it just happen in a week?? I was thinking maybe I was allergic to it and may have an infection?? The inhaler is a quick fix and the preventer inhaler did a bit but I still wheeze?? After a day or two and I'm fine with sports and exercise, only when I drink/eat certain foods and this all is really recent
    I don't like how I'm taking steroids (inhaler) and it's bothering me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    Basically a few weeks ago I drank loads of lucozade for a week and at the end I was wheezing etc so went to the doctor and he said I may have asthma and prescribed me with an inhaler etc
    No one in my family has it and how can it just happen in a week?? I was thinking maybe I was allergic to it and may have an infection?? The inhaler is a quick fix and the preventer inhaler did a bit but I still wheeze?? After a day or two and I'm fine with sports and exercise, only when I drink/eat certain foods and this all is really recent

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm no doctor, but I don't think it is asthma, sounds more like something like cystic fibrosis or diabetes. Cystic fibrosis the inhaler might help but diabetes is nothing to do with the lungs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I'm no doctor, but I don't think it is asthma, sounds more like something like cystic fibrosis or diabetes. Cystic fibrosis the inhaler might help but diabetes is nothing to do with the lungs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have none of the symptoms for cystic fibrosis, it's mostly genetics and usually at a young age, I'm 18 I would know if I had it plus I had this when I was a kid had loads of ice lollies and was given an inhaler and it went away in around 2 months I told my doctor all this but he didn't do anything

The blue inhaler gets rid of the symptoms instantly tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have none of the symptoms for cystic fibrosis, it's mostly genetics and usually at a young age, I'm 18 I would know if I had it plus I had this when I was a kid had loads of ice lollies and was given an inhaler and it went away in around 2 months I told my doctor all this but he didn't do anything

The blue inhaler gets rid of the symptoms instantly tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cystic fibrosis was a suggestion, digestion problems would be the better words. But it honestly doesn't sound like asthma. If the inhaler helps then it could be another lung problem. If you are fine with sports then I'm not sure because most lung problems cause complications with sport

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, in those who are deemed to be high probability of asthma based on their symptoms, part of the diagnostic process is a trial of therapy and a later re-assessment of symptoms and improvement (or lack of).

Presumably your GP has arranged some sort of follow up to see how you've been getting on? Assuming you've been taking your medication properly, a lack of response usually buys you formal lung assessment which will provide an objective diagnosis. It sounds like you've seen some improvements in wheezing, which may mean a positive treatment response that may need a little more tweaking in terms of doses and meds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Cystic fibrosis was a suggestion, digestion problems would be the better words. But it honestly doesn't sound like asthma. If the inhaler helps then it could be another lung problem. If you are fine with sports then I'm not sure because most lung problems cause complications with sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it might be an infection as when I had it when I was a child I had this medicine called Zyrtec for a month or two almost every day and it went away, they were the same symptoms and yes I have no problems with exercising so I'm guessing no asthma? Should I stop my inhalers and start taking Zyrtec? Maybe I'll discuss this with my doctor? My mums a doctor too and that's what she suggested me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Asthma often gets confused for bronchitis.

ReputationRep:
    Lol you definitely don't have cystic fibrosis or diabetes just from wheezing :rofl:

Just go see your GP, if the inhaler really has helped then it might be that you actually do have asthma, sometimes people have it very mildly and it can be triggered by different things, but don't do/change anything until you've seen your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApeMob)
    Asthma often gets confused for bronchitis.
    Hmm I only have one of the symptoms and that's the cough however the cough only starts when I get wheezing and as soon as I take the inhaler it goes away

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I only have one of the symptoms and that's the cough however the cough only starts when I get wheezing and as soon as I take the inhaler it goes away

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My little sister is currently asthmatic and so if my father. In fact as a baby she was diagnosed as asthmatic because my father was mentioned to be. But upon getting older and visiting other doctors they have called bronchitis. She used to always need her breathing mask and inhaler. Don't wanna say anything about how she is now not to jinx but yeahhh...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lord give me strength.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely your GP didn't just prescribe you a steroid inhaler just like that on the basis of some recent wheezing? Did you have any other tests done? Did they ask you more at length about your symptoms?

Part of diagnosing asthma does include seeing how you respond to treatment but it should also include looking at the symptoms and pattern of symptoms (e.g. night coughing or highly variable peak flow readings day by day or at different times during the day can be typical of asthma).

[Although you really shouldn't worry; inhaled steroids tend to be well tolerated (i.e. few, if any, side affects) aside from an increased chance of oral thrush-and if you rinse or brush your teeth you should be fine].

As to whether it's possible for asthma to develop in a week, it depends what you mean by develop. Could you possibly have had lesser symptoms that you've just not really noticed as much before? My asthma seemed to pretty much start up in the space of a week or so when I started uni. I think it was the change in environment (suddenly living in a city as opposed to the countryside) plus some sort of viral infection that triggered it becoming really noticeable (I was waking up in the early hours every day because I felt like I couldn't breathe), but looking back I actually had had other signs since school-I'd just always written it off as other things. Mild asthma can go undiagnosed quite easily until it starts really bothering you or interfering with your daily life when it gets worse or you go through a period where you're exposed to a lot of unexpected triggers.

The fact that it's not affected by sports doesn't mean anything; there are obviously some very common triggers for asthma, exercise being one of them, but they won't affect everyone and people with asthma can have lots of different triggers and that can include things you've eaten and drinking. Also, that you still wheeze even on a preventer inhaler could just mean the dose isn't right (and it won't always get you wheeze free completely anyway; even people with well controlled asthma will usually need to use their reliever inhaler occasionally to control acute symptoms).

So yeah, none of the things you say can say it's not asthma, but equally it could be you're right and it's something else. But the best person to discuss that with is your doctor because nobody else can really guess for you.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think it might be an infection as when I had it when I was a child I had this medicine called Zyrtec for a month or two almost every day and it went away, they were the same symptoms and yes I have no problems with exercising so I'm guessing no asthma? Should I stop my inhalers and start taking Zyrtec? Maybe I'll discuss this with my doctor? My mums a doctor too and that's what she suggested me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sure about infection, does it happen when you don't have a lot? But the zyrtec sounds more realistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Surely your GP didn't just prescribe you a steroid inhaler just like that on the basis of some recent wheezing? Did you have any other tests done? Did they ask you more at length about your symptoms?
    Mine did. But I had to have a siprometry (?) done to be sure it was asthma.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry, but what makes you think putting a suggestive diagnosis of cystic fibrosis out there over the internet is a good idea? OP please ignore this post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    I'm sorry, but what makes you think putting a suggestive diagnosis of cystic fibrosis out there over the internet is a good idea? OP please ignore this post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was just an example, it wasn't a diagnosis. The point was more about it being related more to blood sugar or mucus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Mine did. But I had to have a siprometry (?) done to be sure it was asthma.
    Spirometry wouldn't make sure it was asthma (although it can be helpful), it's a clinical diagnosis, and often made after assessing response to treatment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was just an example, it wasn't a diagnosis. The point was more about it being related more to blood sugar or mucus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well don't make examples, especially when they involve extremely serious diagnoses, when you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Well don't make examples, especially when they involve extremely serious diagnoses, when you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did clearly say that I am no doctor...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, perhaps go and see your local pharmacist - they may be able to give you some good healthcare advice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.