AS Russian and/or Polish

Watch this thread
SpencerJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I am debating if I should do AS Russian and/or Polish as an extra next year. If you have taken these exams can you give me details on them?
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I haven't done AS Polish myself (I don't speak the language), but I know that it's just written exams at A-level (no speaking). The AS is regarded as easy, and a very high proportion of entrants achieve A grades in it but the A2, however, requires a fair bit of preparation in advance though - as there is a lot of literature / film analysis involved, and you might need to purchase some of the books / material the exam board recommends.

I don't know much at all about Russian A-level, other than that it has a mandatory speaking unit, and that this A-level is more popular with (privately educated) British students, so the standard of language that's expected is slightly lower than in A-level Polish.

Polish and Russian though! That's a great combination :awesome: So do you speak both of these languages at home? / Do you speak one of them as your mothertongue language and then went on to learn the other language? / Are you a Western-Ukranian / Slovak who has some familiarity with both? :lol:
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you're fluent in either language, or both, don't do the A levels in a language you're already fluent in, what's the point? Universities won't really regard it as a proper A level as you're already fluent so it doesn't really count, so it won't really help.

However if you're not fluent in the languages/one of them already, then take it! Polish I imagine would be harder as I imagine more natives take it, thus making the grade boundaries higher, but Russian would be a great A level to have if you're not fluent in it! (I'm sure Polish would be too assuming you're not fluent, but Russian would probably have lower grade boundaries as I imagine it's less taken by just natives).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads