Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving 12 hours to the South of France for the first time on my own? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've done it before, but with a friend. This time however it'll be by myself. I'm leaving this coming Wednesday the day after my car is sorted out and the MOT and tax made.

I've driven approx. 4000 miles since getting my licence in December last year - Yeah I know lol.

My car is a Ford focus 1.6L TDI 2005 Hatchback

What should I do? What should I bring? Any cool ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Crackpipe?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rac.co.uk/advice/car-know...through-france

I know high visibility jackets are required (1 per passenger) when driving in France

Edit: looking at that list, if the others are true then that's a lot of things you need to drive there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    http://www.rac.co.uk/advice/car-know...through-france

I know high visibility jackets are required (1 per passenger) when driving in France

Edit: looking at that list, if the others are true then that's a lot of things you need to drive there.
    After spending every summer for 15 years driving down in my dad's car he has never been stopped by the police. He does have the fluo jackets, but the bulbs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
    After spending every summer for 15 years driving down in my dad's car he has never been stopped by the police. He does have the fluo jackets, but the bulbs?
    Sorry no idea, I've never been driving in France. I just remember the high-vis jacket thing from Top gear

I would assume RAC wouldn't lie though.

ReputationRep:
    Everything on that list is legally required. They are especially hot on checking for the breathalysers at the moment as well.

In France, the police can and will march you to a cash point to pay any fines for not carrying the required items. Dont risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Everything on that list is legally required. They are especially hot on checking for the breathalysers at the moment as well.

In France, the police can and will march you to a cash point to pay any fines for not carrying the required items. Dont risk it.
    I've been driving around since January 22nd without an MOT, and therefore an invalid license ... I haven't been caught, and I've pretty much gotten away with it since I'm getting the MOT done this coming Tuesday.

I've driven down to the South of France before with a Vauxhall corsa without ANY of the stuff mentioned (maybe just the jackets), I was stopped by the Police, but let go after 2 minutes ...

I might be lucky, VERY lucky ... but my dad only brings the jackets, and he has NEVER been fined or anything!

Plenty of my older friends, who have cars, have NEVER been stopped either ...

Why is it then?

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving around since January 22nd without an MOT, and therefore an invalid license ... I haven't been caught, and I've pretty much gotten away with it since I'm getting the MOT done this coming Tuesday.

I've driven down to the South of France before with a Vauxhall corsa without ANY of the stuff mentioned (maybe just the jackets), I was stopped by the Police, but let go after 2 minutes ...

I might be lucky, VERY lucky ... but my dad only brings the jackets, and he has NEVER been fined or anything!

Plenty of my older friends, who have cars, have NEVER been stopped either ...

Why is it then?
    With your luck; why even bother with a seatbelt? I also hope you're piling all your spare cash into lottery tickets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    With your luck; why even bother with a seatbelt? I also hope you're piling all your spare cash into lottery tickets!

Em, because that is something visual, and something that'll save my life one day? .... wtf is that response anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Em, because that is something visual, and something that'll save my life one day? .... wtf is that response anyway?
    :rolleyes: Nevermind.

You asked what you ought to take with you and the list of legal requirements was provided. If you choose to ignore this then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    :rolleyes: Nevermind.

You asked what you ought to take with you and the list of legal requirements was provided. If you choose to ignore this then so be it.
    You're really sick ... Mod my ass.

ReputationRep:
    You're really sick ... Mod my ass.
    I'd rather not mod your ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)

The breathalyser has to be a French-approved one, too. It can't be just any old one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    The breathalyser has to be a French-approved one, too. It can't be just any old one.
    Yeah, its a pain in the ass. You also need 2 at all times I believe.. so what happens if you use one at the start of your journey? Are you then breaking the law by only having 1? Should you therefore carry 3 for when you do use one?

ReputationRep:
    As you're a fairly inexperienced driver, consider taking more stopover breaks than your dad used to. Maybe take a few days to make the trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yeah, its a pain in the ass. You also need 2 at all times I believe.. so what happens if you use one at the start of your journey? Are you then breaking the law by only having 1? Should you therefore carry 3 for when you do use one?
    Common sense would dictate that if you can produce the used one, you should be ok until you can get another one.

However, it is the French police we're talking about. Anyone who thinks Britain has any kind of problems with policing should go to France and Southern Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)

hahahahaha stop it

ReputationRep:
    Burn some bangin' tunes on a few blank CDs.

ReputationRep:
    Huge wedge of cash for tolls and on the spot fines. Plus please bear in mind the French are lethal drivers in the holiday season. You need to switch your headlights for driving on the right. Steer well wide of juggernaut lorries which move laterally / swing alarmingly. The hard shoulder is the most dangerous place of all. Stay cool. Drink lots. Rest frequently. Think about your mobile. Will it work ? Is it expensive ? Who do you ring if emergency. Think about AA Euro cover. Have Form E 11 about your person. As indicated above you need a whole laundry list of bits and bobs on board to conform to French law. Good luck and enjoy !

PS: Decent maps with stops, restaurants, hotels etc indicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I'd rather not mod your ass.
    hue hue hue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.