The Student Room Group

Formality of GCSE test paper problem

I realise that, so far into the summer holidays, many have probably long forgotten about the GCSE tests, but there is something bothering me. Although I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes in terms of the knowledge I had and how I applied it to questions, there is something that, if my nervousness is not misguided, I will absolutely hate myself for doing. When you run out of space provided on the test paper and ask for an extra sheet, and for me this is specifically for the AQA Geography paper, there is the section for answers and a margin to the side. Above this margin, it said something along the lines of "Write the two digit question number and complete the answer to the question to the side". The number 2 confused me. The questions of the paper were seperated as 1,2,3,4 with these numbers seperated as a, b, c and occasionally those letters seperated further by I,II, etc. With the stress of the exams and the apparent very strict formality of the whole GCSEs, I panicked. They're asking me for a 2 digit question number and in any other situation I'd just provide the information I'd think they'd need. However, because of how formal everything was, I felt like I had to do exactly what they were asking. Although I can't remember the exact question number now, If It was 4) B) II, I just put 4B. Bare in mind I had very little time. Will they read the second half of the answer I wrote on the sheet and use logic to connect it to the unfinished answer on the actual test paper?
(edited 9 years ago)
I also did the AQA geography papers and yes I think you'll be fine, they will read through it all. Don't worry! Good luck :smile: I forgot to write the reference number for the fist English lit exam -_-
Original post by ChortleDawkins
I realise that, so far into the summer holidays, many have probably long forgotten about the GCSE tests, but there is something bothering me. Although I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes in terms of the knowledge I had and how I applied it to questions, there is something that, if my nervousness is not misguided, I will absolutely hate myself for doing. When you run out of space provided on the test paper and ask for an extra sheet, and for me this is specifically for the AQA Geography paper, there is the section for answers and a margin to the side. Above this margin, it said something along the lines of "Write the two digit question number and complete the answer to the question to the side". The number 2 confused me. The questions of the paper were seperated as 1,2,3,4 with these numbers seperated as a, b, c and occasionally those letters seperated further by I,II, etc. With the stress of the exams and the apparent very strict formality of the whole GCSEs, I panicked. They're asking me for a 2 digit question number and in any other situation I'd just provide the information I'd think they'd need. However, because of how formal everything was, I felt like I had to do exactly what they were asking. Although I can't remember the exact question number now, If It was 4) B) II, I just put 4B. Bare in mind I had very little time. Will they read the second half of the answer I wrote on the sheet and use logic to connect it to the unfinished answer on the actual test paper?

Examiners have common sense. As long as it's clear which question you've answered (which it will be if you answered it correctly), they'll know what you meant. Lots of people make these kinds of mistakes in exams, it's a very stressful situation :smile:
That is good to hear, although my stress won't completely go away until exam day. If it all goes well, it shouls hopefully end there. :smile:
a problem:

I just put question 1....
I presumed they would know what question i was answering......

Quick Reply

Latest