Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a varicose vein? Pic.. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered is this a varicose vein on my hamstring area? Is it likely to get worse, i mean is this how they start?

sorry about the pic it rotated wrong way should be vertical
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a normal vein, with the small bulge probably being a valve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiggydiggy)
    Looks like a normal vein, with the small bulge probably being a valve.
    So its the start of varicose vein? Or do you mean its a normal valve?
    My grandma got them bad apparantly they can be inherited :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    So its the start of varicose vein? Or do you mean its a normal valve?
    My grandma got them bad apparantly they can be inherited :/
    It's a normal valve.

Family history can be associated with having them yourself, yes. But you have to remember that it doesn't mean you will get them. It's only one factor out of many, and if your grandma got them when she was 60, it's much less risk than if she got them when she was 20.

I would honestly try not to worry about it. They look completely normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiggydiggy)
    It's a normal valve.

Family history can be associated with having them yourself, yes. But you have to remember that it doesn't mean you will get them. It's only one factor out of many, and if your grandma got them when she was 60, it's much less risk than if she got them when she was 20.

I would honestly try not to worry about it. They look completely normal.
    I think she got her first one in her 20's when she was pregnant. I do a lot of running and there are mixed opinions on this whether running can trigger/make them worse or not, health organisations probably don't like admitting it in case it stops people from exercising lol but yea I'll just try and forget it for now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.