Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to start an English course in uni, but I've been having afterthoughts about my prospects. My family says that Law can be a much more rewarding subject (prospects-wise) to study, and I have to agree, but I think that I'd be much more interested in studying English for three years at degree level rather than Law.
    A relative asked me what I'm hoping to study at university and I answered accordingly, but she laughed and asked me about the possible career options but remained adamant about my incompetitiveness and stupidity and shook her head mockingly.
    I heard that there is such a thing as a 'Law conversion' programme available, what is it? What kind of format does such a programme take? It would be nice to pick up a Law degree. I know I haven't even enrolled in uni yet, but I think there shouldn't be any harm in asking a few questions about possible opportunities :P

ReputationRep:
    The law conversion course is the GDL. It is a one year intensive course where you learn all of the core modules from a law degree. The GDL counts as a 'qualifying' law degree, which means that you would be eligible to then undertake the LPC (to become a solicitor) or BPTC (to become a barrister) if you so wished. You mention that Law provides better job prospects than English; do you actually have any interest in practising in law?

ReputationRep:
    Echoing what was said above, you'd also need to have an undergraduate degree first before you took the GDL. I wouldn't recommend taking the course if you have no interest in the law - it's intense (you cover 7 modules in one year) and costly without sponsorship... I have just finished the GDL - let me know if you have any questions about it.

ReputationRep:
    Law only provides better prospects than English if you definitely want to work in the legal profession. Otherwise, it's just another course that trains you to analyse and think.

I took English and am starting the GDL this year. I don't regret doing my English degree at all, I loved it and I know plenty of law students who hated their course and are not going on to become lawyers. Why would you drag a law degree out for three years when you can convert in 1 year and have the best of both worlds?!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.swansea.ac.uk/law/profess...skedquestions/

Here, this site tells you lots about the GDL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.