Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Increase iphone memory Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to clear app cache on an iPhone 5c? I only have 3gb left, twitter and Instagram use up about 500mb each. Any way to increase memory?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Use something that allows external expansion

That aside, just uninstall stuff and delete (or copy to some other storage) files you don't need. There is no way to add more storage (or memory either, but they're distinctly different, or anything for that matter) on iPhones (or, really, any apple device).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Delete photos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    Is there any way to clear app cache on an iPhone 5c? I only have 3gb left, twitter and Instagram use up about 500mb each. Any way to increase memory?
    Go into Settings and look at your usage, and see if there's anything you don't need. Some apps can be deleted and reinstalled, which deletes their cache e.g Twitter and Facebook where all the data is stored on their servers, so you won't lose anything.

ReputationRep:
    Delete photos and music will give your phone more space. Also deleting apps that you don't need will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe5453)
    Delete photos and music will give your phone more space. Also deleting apps that you don't need will help.

In the aspect of increasing memory, this does very little in terms of increasing.

Files on any system, have an index table (referenced as the Master File Table). When you delete the file, it's only removed from the index table (making it unavailable). The contents are still there, stored on the drive (it only marks the space as being available). Only when another file is added or copied to the system, then will it finally be deleted. This helps with advanced recovery techniques

The best way to increase memory capacity, is to do a 'restore to factory defaults' or get some form of external storage.

(I've done a course on advanced data recovery techniques)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    In the aspect of increasing memory, this does very little in terms of increasing.

Files on any system, have an index table (referenced as the Master File Table). When you delete the file, it's only removed from the index table (making it unavailable). The contents are still there, stored on the drive (it only marks the space as being available). Only when another file is added or copied to the system, then will it finally be deleted. This helps with advanced recovery techniques

The best way to increase memory capacity, is to do a 'restore to factory defaults' or get some form of external storage.

(I've done a course on advanced data recovery techniques)
    Everybody knows it doesn't remove the data, just the index. But, it has the effect of increasing the available space to write on, does it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Everybody knows it doesn't remove the data, just the index. But, it has the effect of increasing the available space to write on, does it not?
    Very little impact, if you just want the space to be there, then I always go for a restore to factory defaults. But that's just me.

And not everyone knows about the index. Many people on the course I done don't even know about Index tables, probably a very small minority.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Very little impact, if you just want the space to be there, then I always go for a restore to factory defaults. But that's just me.

And not everyone knows about the index. Many people on the course I done don't even know about Index tables, probably a very small minority.
    But it isn't uncommon knowledge that the data isn't actually removed, especially after it was brought to the attention of the media by Avast the other week.
    Restoring to factory defaults is only really viable if there isn't much that you want to keep but you need a lot of space freeing up.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's not uncommon knowledge amongst those with technical knowledge/experience. I guess people around me just aren't really up to scratch on their technology knowledge.

ReputationRep:

I don't think the purpose of this is to actually have empty space on your phone, but rather to have space onto which you could download and store new content, if you wanted to.

In most cases I think people won't really care if that space still has old content on it in the meantime - as long as when they eventually do want to store new content, they can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe5453)
    Yeah, it is a great idea. And if you need the photos and music, you should backup or copy the pictures to your computer before deletion.

ReputationRep:
    Delete the app and reinstall it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.