Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Probability of getting cancer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any idea what are the chances of getting cancer at the age of ~21 years old?
    Is it something like 1:40000, or more like 1:200?

ReputationRep:
    No idea.. Is this your fear or you have some symptoms??

My sister and few friends are doctor.. I can let you know later..

Though I have fear that in future I will be suffering from cancer.. Recently a friend topd me that 4rth stage cancer can also be cured now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shruti21)
    No idea.. Is this your fear or you have some symptoms??

My sister and few friends are doctor.. I can let you know later..

Though I have fear that in future I will be suffering from cancer.. Recently a friend topd me that 4rth stage cancer can also be cured now...
    No, I don't have it or any symptoms (that I know of anyway), but I'm just curious as to the possibility.
    Seems it's not as uncommon as I once thought it was to get it at a young age. :/

ReputationRep:
    It's estimated that 1/3 people will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime.

The likeliness of having cancer probably stays roughly the same from when you are born until when you die, because whilst some cancers are more likely at a certain age, some are also less likely.

1 in 3 is a high statistic, yes, but 4 in 10 cancer cases could be prevented by lifestyle changes (e.g. smoking, being a healthy weight and avoiding excessive sun exposure.

At the end of the day, being diagnosed with cancer is something that is affected by many factors. You would also have an increased risk due to certain genetics.
    So that 1/3 could actually be 1/7 for you, you don't really know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    It's estimated that 1/3 people will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime.

The likeliness of having cancer probably stays roughly the same from when you are born until when you die, because whilst some cancers are more likely at a certain age, some are also less likely.

1 in 3 is a high statistic, yes, but 4 in 10 cancer cases could be prevented by lifestyle changes (e.g. smoking, being a healthy weight and avoiding excessive sun exposure.

At the end of the day, being diagnosed with cancer is something that is affected by many factors. You would also have an increased risk due to certain genetics.
    So that 1/3 could actually be 1/7 for you, you don't really know
    Yeah I know about the lifetime risk of getting it. My question was about the probability of getting it at age 21. Not throughout the duration of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateocr)
    Yeah I know about the lifetime risk of getting it. My question was about the probability of getting it at age 21. Not throughout the duration of life.
    My point is, it's the same no matter how old you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    My point is, it's the same no matter how old you are
    Well that's not exactly true.

The most common cancers - such as breast, colorectal and prostate, are much, much more common as you get older. The same goes for a huge number of cancers including bladder, lung, skin....

Yes, there are cancers that are more common in certain age groups, such as some types of leukaemia (some more common in children, some in middle age or elderly), or things like rare neural tissue tumours of childhood. However, overall, these cancers are relatively rare and often have some genetic components of some description.

So, as a 21 year old, your odds of developing cancer at that age are certainly much lower than your 70 year old equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you live a healthy lifestyle (and by healthy I mean ridiculously so - 15+ fruit & veg a day, loads of water, hardly any processed foods and low amounts of sugary foods, plus exercise), your risks of cancer reduce significantly to the point you'd have to be very unlucky to get it.

Also don't forget sun cream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    If you live a healthy lifestyle (and by healthy I mean ridiculously so - 15+ fruit & veg a day, loads of water, hardly any processed foods and low amounts of sugary foods, plus exercise), your risks of cancer reduce significantly to the point you'd have to be very unlucky to get it.

If cancer has spread all over the body - is there any chance of a cure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
    If cancer has spread all over the body - is there any chance of a cure
    In most cases no. But it depends on the cancer. My Dad has stage 4 (which is what you're referring to) melanoma (skin cancer). All they can really do is keep cutting it out when it shows up and then if they can't cut it out - try out some drugs (most of which have little effect).

However there has been news of a "miracle drug" in America which showed a man's tumours from melanoma actually start reducing in size and disappearing. However, this is still in research stages in America & likely won't be available in UK for a few years, which pretty much sucks.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases no. But it depends on the cancer. My Dad has stage 4 (which is what you're referring to) melanoma (skin cancer). All they can really do is keep cutting it out when it shows up and then if they can't cut it out - try out some drugs (most of which have little effect).

However there has been news of a "miracle drug" in America which showed a man's tumours from melanoma actually start reducing in size and disappearing. However, this is still in research stages in America & likely won't be available in UK for a few years, which pretty much sucks.
    What about brain cancer, if that is at stage 4 is there any chance of a cure?

ReputationRep:
    What about brain cancer, if that is at stage 4 is there any chance of a cure?
    I think brain cancer by definition is stage 4 as it has spread to the brain. I have no idea if it's curable. I would suggest not, although there probably are people who have survived it.

Maybe search google as I don't have a definitive knowledge of all cancers.

ReputationRep:
    I think brain cancer by definition is stage 4 as it has spread to the brain. I have no idea if it's curable. I would suggest not, although there probably are people who have survived it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly, whereas usually a tumour in the brain has spread from somewhere else, making it a late stage cancer, there are cancers that actually arise in the brain itself, so can of course vary from very early to very late stages.

ReputationRep:

Ok thanks for the info, I should have said this earlier but I'm sorry about your dad - I hope he gets better

ReputationRep:
    Might be able to use Bayesian probability to work it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly, whereas usually a tumour in the brain has spread from somewhere else, making it a late stage cancer, there are cancers that actually arise in the brain itself, so can of course vary from very early to very late stages.
    Fair enough. Had no idea there were cancers which originated in the brain.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the info, I should have said this earlier but I'm sorry about your dad - I hope he gets better
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Well that's not exactly true.
    Interesting - it's what I was told, so I believed it was.
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:

Fruit is absolutely loaded with sugar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Fruit is absolutely loaded with sugar.
    Yes I realise that, by sugary foods I meant refined sugar.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.