Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does your mum/dad /family know you're in a relationship? Watch

Just out of curiosity , People in relationships! Do your family members know you are in a relationship and have they met your boyfriend/girlfriend?

I'm 18 ,single (never been in a relationship) and have been thinking about relationships lately .The thought of introducing my parents to a boyfriend:eek:.In their ideal world I'll live at home ,stay single until I'm 25

ReputationRep:
    no cos im not in one.

ReputationRep:
    I find that it depends a lot on ethnicity and how religious your parents are lol.

Generally Indians don't tell their parents about their boyfriends/girlfriends, unless you happen to be an exception like me

ReputationRep:
    Never met 'em.

ReputationRep:
    Yup they do know.

ReputationRep:
    My dad wants me to have a GF and he always tells me that he had a GF when he was 12 years old. I am 17.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes and i'd be meeting his parents this september.

ReputationRep:
    Not something I tell my parents.

My kids on the other hand often tells me who they are involved with and if I'm seeing someone new then they will be the first to know.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They've known my right had as long as I have so it seems unnecessary to reintroduce them.

ReputationRep:
    Weird not to tell them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes my mum, stepdad, gran and papa all the knew about my current relationship as soon as it started 5 yrs ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No one knew about my last one and that was too angsty now I will just tell them for peace of mind even though I hate awkward conversations
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tania<3)
    I find that it depends a lot on ethnicity and how religious your parents are lol.

Generally Indians don't tell their parents about their boyfriends/girlfriends, unless you happen to be an exception like me
    Indeed! But I'm thankful my parents are pretty liberal. Mum knows I'm in one, so does sister. Gonna tell my Dad at a more appropriate time though.

ReputationRep:
    She does now, but she didn't know for 4 months. The only reason I told her was because I had met his parents by this point and I felt bad about her not knowing he even existed. She reacted much better than expected so it's all good.

She actually met him just over a week ago. I thought it would be super awkward but it really wasn't. I can't say the same for when I met his parents though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just got girlfriend so everyone would get off my back about being gay.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I've never had a 'proper' relationship but while I live at home I couldn't tell them (well, more my dad but if I told mum she'd probably tell him) if I did because they would never let me go out ever again, nor would they let me ever go round to his house or him come round to mine, just like you OP if my dad had things his way I would live at home and remain single till I'm about 25, thank god I'm moving away in September to uni (hopefully). But when I no longer live at home I would tell them, because then they wouldn't be able to interfere and/or stop me seeing him.

ReputationRep:
    They knew about my first as soon as it happened, briefly met him but when we broke up and then got back together again they didn't know at first and they never met again although my mum wanted to.My second they met before we were officially together and liked him from the start. I'm not sure if my next will meet them.

ReputationRep:
    My parents knew about my first relationship as I needed a lift at the start (broken arm couldn't drive). I don't think id bother telling them now if I was in one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They knew before I did pretty much.
    I told them about my friend I'd been having fun crazy adventures across the country with. I had my sister come meet him with me the fourth time. Family kept asking me if I would consider him for a relationship, I genuinely thought 'hell no', hah. Turns out I did fall in love with him and I introduced him to my parents shortly after we became partners. They loved him as much as they thought they would, but for some reason they seemed to already have made their minds up first anyway despite me barely saying anything about him really.

I met his family a couple of months after that, went and stayed with them for a month (followed by many more stays across the years, we lived at each other's places basically). They liked me too.

It's been such an easy happy time. My parents seem to be quite intuitive in recognising he suited me and were keen not to make things difficult for us like both sets of in-laws had done for them (even almost forcing a divorce in the beginning).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.