Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Modern society has made a lot of sick individuals Watch

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of individuals who abandon their young, abandon their family, fight in the courts to avoid paying for their own children, and many people who only value money, property and possessions. Just look at the terms that often come up in conversation: pay, price, buy, buying.

The Bible bluntly says, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Timothy 5:8). First, provide for your immediate family and then expand the scope of your generosity to include others. Your money should never be more important to you than helping others. We are specifically warned, "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" (1 Timothy 6:10).

The love of money is not today exclusive to pirates or money lenders, they have managed to turn us all into consumers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpikeyTeeth)
    There are lots of individuals who abandon their young, abandon their family, fight in the courts to avoid paying for their own children, and many people who only value money, property and possessions. Just look at the terms that often come up in conversation: pay, price, buy, buying.

The Bible bluntly says, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Timothy 5:8). First, provide for your immediate family and then expand the scope of your generosity to include others. Your money should never be more important to you than helping others. We are specifically warned, "the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" (1 Timothy 6:10).

The love of money is not today exclusive to pirates or money lenders, they have managed to turn us all into consumers.
    Whilst I agree with you in that there are a lot of sick individuals, I think it was ever thus. You only need to peer back into a bit of history to see the same types of behaviour. Children have always been abandoned; thieving has gone on since time began - your bible has plenty of passages about it.

Don't be sucked into the belief that modern society is so bad. A lotos good happens too

ReputationRep:

Yes like it's a completely new phenomena :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    If you draw your morality from the Bible then I think it's you who is the sick individual.

ReputationRep:
    Modern society is far less sick than many past societies. Ever heard of the vikings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Modern society is far less sick than many past societies. Ever heard of the vikings?
    Leave the Vikings alone. Pick on the Romans, they were worse.

ReputationRep:
    The blame does not just lie with society. Also, I'm sure you wouldn't be posting this thread if you were rich. Perhaps you're frustrated about not having a lot of money to spend?

ReputationRep:
    SpikeyTeeth , you are a good person so you must fearlessly package who you are as confidently as those who package their less worthwhile adverts.

Go to a modern church if you believe (or even if you don't- there should certainly be receptive people there).

Travel to other bits of the country where you can feel fresh and less self conscious about being who you really are.

Have fun and bring in those who need and seek fun in their lives.

You're going to be a star. You are a star.

But do it somewhat humbly of course even if you burn with pasison about helping everyone. You will quietly gain respect. Don't turn away people who seem still be 'victims' of showiness, of consumerism. Those things serve some comfort to them. You might be made of more old fashioned austere stuff. Well leap in to a totally austere life then. You can always go back if you wish. Have a magic time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    The blame does not just lie with society. Also, I'm sure you wouldn't be posting this thread if you were rich. Perhaps you're frustrated about not having a lot of money to spend?
    I have money to spend. Is that supposed to be the be all and end all. What good will some shiny trinkets or a new TV or pair or shoes do me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's cute you're just realising that friendo

ReputationRep:
    I have money to spend. Is that supposed to be the be all and end all. What good will some shiny trinkets or a new TV or pair or shoes do me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, as far as this life goes, yes, that's the be all and end all. What do you want me to say exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    Well, as far as this life goes, yes, that's the be all and end all. What do you want me to say exactly?
    That's exactly the point, money, shoes, TVs, shiny trinkets and even houses! Are not the be all and end all and modern society has got things wrong by thinking that they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly the point, money, shoes, TVs, shiny trinkets and even houses! Are not the be all and end all and modern society has got things wrong by thinking that they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's wrong when you abandon the important things in your life and instead focus all your efforts on chasing money. But there is a middle ground here...with moderation, it's possible to be a good, caring, compassionate, responsible human being. You don't need to be extremely materialistic. But money is important, especially in this capitalist society.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible bluntly says, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" (1 Timothy 5:8)
    Just what is so bad about being an unbeliever?

This isn't a Christian forum, I'm sure there are unbelievers here who would be rightly offended at the quoting of a verse which implies unbeliever=bad.

1 Timothy also wasn't written by Paul (the author of the genuine 1 Corinthians, etc.) according to most scholars.

Besides, does an invisible person in the sky plan to torture such unbelievers for denying his existence after making humans unable to see him? That's silly. Rewarding the credulous and granting insanely disproportionate punishments (eternal torture) to critical thinkers for the thought crime of, well, disagreeing with desert goat herders. I'd say anyone seriously following such a dogma today is a very sick person, though not really an individual.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.