Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just completed my first year at uni. My course lectures were held on two days per week but several of them were cancelled and not rescheduled.

Seeing as attending my particular course is costing me £££ and putting me in debt and I am not getting all that my money has paid for, am I eligible for a refund?

Do consumer rights cover me in as much as the services I have been sold are or were incomplete.

I am sure that if I paid for something out in the big world which was then never supplied, I have some recourse.

i cannot be the only student that has experienced this.

ReputationRep:
    When I started my undergrad degree, we were told that lectures would give us around 10% of what we'd need to get a degree. The rest is up to you - reading lists, coursework preparation, exam revision... This isn't like school any more, where lessons gave you all you needed to pass the course. Missing lectures shouldn't have been a major problem unless the lecturers then failed to provide reading lists. In that case, you should have proactively asked for them.

The tuition fee covers the cost of your access to all of the facilities provided by the university, not just your lectures. If you haven't taken advantage of those facilities - library, assessment/feedback of coursework and exams, e-book/e-journal subscriptions, subsidised cafes/bars, photocopying/scanning, use of basics like toilets, rubbish removal, access to staff if you need advice, independent and group study spaces, PC and internet access etc - then that's your fault. If you have used them, then that's what most of your tuition fee has paid for.

If you had a problem with lectures being cancelled, this should have been raised via your Student Union rep at the time, and escalated through the SU if the uni's response was unsatisfactory. Poor feedback on the NSS strikes fear into the heart of any course administrator, so this is a very useful route if a group of you have a problem. Too late at this stage though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.