Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently working out fairly casually over summer (with some dumbbells at home) before I start going to the gym at uni in September. I was looking into protein powders and creatine and wondering how much of an affect these both have into gaining weight/muscle. I'm a fairly skinny guy so any extra boost would be great.

What does creatine do and does it have any side effects? Would you guys recommend I buy both?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I strongly advise you to stay away from Creatine/Steroids.

You start off with recommended 5g. Then after reading broscience you start 'loading' 10g. Before you know it, you're knocking 50g of Creatine back with every meal.

The worst side-effect occurs first thing in the morning (after having little water for a long time). Everything I see is just blue. Inside and outside. I've stopped looking in the mirror as I can't accept what I've become.

The colours start to come back after I've smashed ~30g of Creatine down.

It's a struggle, but it's worth it.

I strongly encourage you to start dosing up! The more the better.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r10k12)
    bump
    Creatine isn't steroids whoever says that don't listen to them...
    You get creatine in foods like meat and fish.
    Basicially when you take creatine it gets saturated into your muscles and absorbs water which is why people say drink tons of water when taking creatine.

http://www.maxinutrition.com/our-science/creatine

I started using it last year before i went on holiday and got bigger. I haven't had any side effects and don't know anyone who has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r10k12)
    I'm currently working out fairly casually over summer (with some dumbbells at home) before I start going to the gym at uni in September. I was looking into protein powders and creatine and wondering how much of an affect these both have into gaining weight/muscle. I'm a fairly skinny guy so any extra boost would be great.

What does creatine do and does it have any side effects? Would you guys recommend I buy both?
    Hi dude!
    Personally unless you are stressing your body loads I wouldn't bother with the supplements. However the accessibility to protein shakes are good especially after training as you don't feel like eating.

Creatine is a powder which will maximise the stores of Phosphocreatine in the muscles. So basically gives it a top up. I'd only recommend someone going on creatine if you do multiple sets and reps on a high weight which strips the Phosphocreatine out of the muscles.
    There are no side effects to creatine some will say that they pee more because they think you need to drink loads as creatine is a cell volumiser but I disagree and personally didn't see any cell volumising when I took it.

For yourself I think that you should if you really want supplements would be protein, only to take one shake 15 minutes after each workout out. But if also suggest to taking a handful of gummy bears at the same time, so eat the gummy bears then knock down the shake. Only because of the benefit of the insulin spoke but I don't wanna get too technical haha :')

Basically if you can't get all your nutritional needs through food, take protein shakes (Y)

Any other questions just ask
    Jack

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Creatine is not dangerous. Nor is it a steroid or like a steroid.

Whey protein is not dangerous. Nor is it a steroid.

Optimal use for creatine is load 20g a day split over 4 periods for 5 days then use 5g a day for your cycle. Creatine is/can be phenomenal when used correctly and everything else is spot on.

Creatine will draw water to your muscles making them look fuller, but be prepared for that water retention. You will gain strength if used correctly but don't expect creatine to work the same way as dianabol or any other steroid.

What i suggest you do is research basic nutritional facts and put together a diet plan using the stats you can get from www.iifym.com.

Remember supplements are just that, Supplements. They aren't magic, you have to put in the work aswell.

Just the same as steroids aren't magic like people make out, I myself take steroids, but i researched every damn thing possible i could before i put it into my body, and believe me if you dont work hard enough and have enough dedication then you're on a way trip to losing all your gains and some serious side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I did a line of Creatine once. Not sure what happened but I've ended up with a Romanian wife and a family of 37. Be careful with it, it could ruin your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    I strongly advise you to stay away from Creatine/Steroids.

You start off with recommended 5g. Then after reading broscience you start 'loading' 10g. Before you know it, you're knocking 50g of Creatine back with every meal.

The worst side-effect occurs first thing in the morning (after having little water for a long time). Everything I see is just blue. Inside and outside. I've stopped looking in the mirror as I can't accept what I've become.

The colours start to come back after I've smashed ~30g of Creatine down.

It's a struggle, but it's worth it.

I strongly encourage you to start dosing up! The more the better.
    Creatine is not a steroid or anything like a steroid you sweat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeus_)
    Creatine is not a steroid or anything like a steroid you sweat

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's sarcasm

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.