Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am a mature student (32) and have just completed my HNC/D achieving Distinctions in all 16 modules.

I thought I had my immediate future mapped out, I have been accepted to study full time at Cov. Uni starting from year 2 and have secured a placement with possible/ probable sponsorship with my dream job over the summer.

However.... Things have gone really well with this company, I have settled in and my 7 years experience contracting/ running my own electrical firm has meant that I have hit the ground running.

The principle engineer has recommended that I alter my plans, work for them full time and study for my degree part time.

The important factor is that I achieve a BEng (Hons) that is IET accredited as I will be going for chartership when the time comes.

The next important factor is that I secure long term employment with the company that I am currently at, sponsorship does not necessarily mean that you get a job at the end of your degree.

The factors that are less important are;

Location of the university. Although I have a large family that are settled, I live in the Midlands and I am happy to travel to university (within reason, I will consider unis that are up to about 120 miles away, this includes London)

League standing of the University. I am not particularly snobbish about the league standing of the University (again within reason, I have been put off by London South Bank ranking of 120 :/).

I dont want to start my degree from the very beginning. I have studied electrical theory in one guise or another for 6 years now, I know electrical principles inside out. My maths is also strong, so I dont want to have to sit the first year with a load of students that have just completed A-levels going over Laplace and Ohms Law again.... no offence to any one, but I am getting on and dont have the time!

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what my options may be?

I am not being lazy, I have conducted some research, but I have so much on atm, that I cant sit down and afford it the time that it requires, I also realise that i am running out of time now!!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.