Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Men have been marginalised in the 'lad culture' debate. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://tab.co.uk/2014/07/01/if-were-...en-discussion/

What is your opinion on this article?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    I think LADs should be executed on sight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    I think LADs should be executed on sight.
    The article does not defend 'LAD's' but instead points out that so far the approach to dealing with 'lad culture' has been sexist and ineffectual.

ReputationRep:
    Men tend to be marginalised by all feminism. It's the cause's greatest flaw, because amazingly you need men on your side if you want to stop men being sexist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Men tend to be marginalised by all feminism. It's the cause's greatest flaw, because amazingly you need men on your side if you want to stop men being sexist.
    Does the article address this do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Who reads the tab its like the sun for students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Who reads the tab? Its like the sun for students.
    Corrected.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsallfun)
    Corrected.
    Technically you'd need an apostrophe too, to correct it

ReputationRep:
    I do think that you have made a very good point. So far, the 'lad culture' debate has been somewhat of a farce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Technically you'd need an apostrophe too, to correct it
    Indeed, I conceed to your grammar expertise.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of guys aren't like that though.

Also what the hell is the tab?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Loads of guys aren't like that though.

Also what the hell is the tab?
    Read the article, that is precisely the idea it is advancing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsallfun)
    Does the article address this do you think?
    The article comes across as overly defensive, and a bit of a 'not all men' statement. I think it would have been better to take a more 'constructive criticism' approach to the NUS - saying 'we need sexism to stop, but this isn't the way to do it'.

ReputationRep:
    The article comes across as overly defensive, and a bit of a 'not all men' statement. I think it would have been better to take a more 'constructive criticism' approach to the NUS - saying 'we need sexism to stop, but this isn't the way to do it'.
    Isn't that what the article says....

"The NUS summit completely failed to engage with men with only one exception"

"Men need to be included in the conversation, instead of hung out to dry"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Isn't that what the article says....

"The NUS summit completely failed to engage with men with only one exception"

"Men need to be included in the conversation, instead of hung out to dry"
    Indeed, but I think it was too opposed to the NUS. I can easily see people from the NUS reading an article like this and simply dismissing it as yet another man complaining about them.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but I think it was too opposed to the NUS. I can easily see people from the NUS reading an article like this and simply dismissing it as yet another man complaining about them.
    Aren't the NUS like that about "any" criticism against them? Aka they just ignore any criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    Aren't the NUS like that about "any" criticism against them? Aka they just ignore any criticism.
    Touché.

ReputationRep:
    lad culture and "lass" culture will always exist, it will simply change forms; men and women are different and they'll never quite be the same categories of people in society. women have beauty and value as a matter of their nature, and men are, by their nature, attracted to them, while women will never share that level of attraction to men, therefore, women will be less needing to appeal and will be more submissive (more likely at least) while men will need to be more pro-active to equalise the power relationship. so you'll never have a society without gender "roles" because women are still choosing to be picky compared to men. this is why men have been the "powerful" ones during most of human history; because they had an excuse to be active and to acquire value, as women never really needed to be to the same extent.

ReputationRep:
    As a student, **** the NUS. A disgusting, overly spergy group of idiotic hippies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.